Gympie and surrounds information + questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which is the best to go to with a pan and minelab 44 metal detector. I know my metal detector isnt the best but its a start. Also will anyone else on here be heading there this Saturday morning? Thanks.

Deep creek is the only l GPA in Gympie.
Though people do still pan and sluice along the Mary river and I've never heard of anyone being fined.
You won't find any gold with your detector in the GPA but if you work hard and luck is on your Side you might get a few colours and maybe even a picker in you pan.
A sluice will be your best chance of anything at all.

Smoky bandit said:
Deep creek is the only l GPA in Gympie.
Though people do still pan and sluice along the Mary river and I've never heard of anyone being fined.
You won't find any gold with your detector in the GPA but if you work hard and luck is on your Side you might get a few colours and maybe even a picker in you pan.
A sluice will be your best chance of anything at all.

Thanks.

MarkAllen my tip is get a lead shot dig a hole put it in there fill in hole and see if you find it .
Then go 2 inch then 3 inch then 4 inch test it before spending hours out bush . Honestly.
I like detecting but rather panning and sluiceing better

goldinbrisbane said:
Go to Durikai or thanes better chance I'll be out in durikai Saturday

Thanes Creek is dry so guessing Durikai will be too so hard to find anything small without being able to pan or sluice.

Hi fellow prospectors I am planning to go detecting to Gympie area in near future is there any other area beside Deep creek? and is there any other camping available nearbuy beside Caravan parks not to keen to stay at CP most properly to crowded I have full sufficient off road Pop up Camper.

The camping ground near the old Prophet mine at Kilkivan is v nice. https://bushcamping.com.au/

Much closer to Gympie the old Cobb n Co stop is also good https://cobbandcocamping.com.au/

Major problem is, as Feral says, the only public accessible prospecting area in the 900km between Warick & Clermont is Deep Creek, and that sucks.

I guess if you simply want to enjoy the outdoors though you could always take a nice canoe trip down the Mary River stopping here & there for a break ;)

Feral said:
For Detecting? Unless you have a private Land Owners permission short answer is No

Thanks I know that was just thinking it my be same unoccupied crown land around the aria. :beer:

XLOOX said:
The camping ground near the old Prophet mine at Kilkivan is v nice.

Much closer to Gympie the old Cobb n Co stop is also good :beer:

Major problem is, as Feral says, the only public accessible prospecting area in the 900km between Warick & Clermont is Deep Creek, and that sucks.

I guess if you simply want to enjoy the outdoors though you could always take a nice canoe trip down the Mary River stopping here & there for a break ;)

XLOOX Thank you for good information and you sense of humor can't take my canoe down merry river -is not crock proof - and you are right 900k and nothing for us in between to go QLD Government is only interested to charge the fee bit different in NSW :beer:

Queensland sucks for prospecting unless you live close to a GPA. Been to Warick on numerous occasions and have come back with a good score of Ticks. Last time there ended up crook as a dog with more than a dozen on me and that was after heavy use of Bushmans. Never going back there. Durikai has been extensively racked.

Was out at Clermont over last Christmas. Had been planning a trip into NSW but the bushfires put a stop to that. The new area that had been open for only a few months had a lot of old detecter holes there. Holiday was cut short though due to my own stupidity. Will go back there one day. No Ticks :Y:

Gympie GPA IMHO is a joke.

Latest posts