Deep Cycle Battery brands, types, systems & installations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CreviceSucker said:
I am going from the manufacturers rating on the CCTV equipment , based on the spec sheet if its 6 amps @ 12 VDC then thats 72 watts x 24 hours = 1728 Wh.

The quoted consumption from the spec sheet of 6 Amps should be confirmed by measurement.
Generally, spec sheets provide the maximum current draw, This could be the instantaneous current draw at switch on and yet the idle current could be as low as 0.5A and obviously this will affect your design and costs.

CreviceSucker said:
So if its 72 Watts load x 24 hr >> = 1728 Wh

1728 divided by 12.0 = 144 Ah

3 x 120 Ah batteries = 2.5 days of runtime

4 x 120 Ah batteries = 3.3 days runtime which is okay

is that interpretation correct ?

with deep cycle AGM what depth of discharge does their amp hour rating include ?

I guess a big part of this will be the honesty (quality) in the battery rating

That is not nearly enough Battery power to be able to supply that amount Amperage,

The thing you need to take in to account is you can't drain the batteries down using the full 120 Amps, To be able to use that amount of power you would need 6 X 120Ah Batteries because you don't want to be draining them down below 50% for 2 and a half days,

To work out the exact power requirements We need True power Draw specs from every Item being used, Not Quoted figures from the back of a manual or a DATA Sheet because out of thousands of hours of testing I have only found one Item that actually used the Stated Power Figures,

I have a conversion Calculator If you want to know what size Solar Kit you need where you type in the figures of whats per Hour and how many hours a day it will be running and it will tell you what size Basic system you need and then it will adjust those figures to what you will actually need, and it will list the Sun Hours for that month but because you are in Australia you have to reverse the figures because the Aussie winter is 6 months ahead of the UK winter, So what happens in January in the UK happens around May/June time,

Another thing that is Always over looked is when WE talk of SUN HOURS, Where you might get 6 hours of good sun in winter where those panels are working from 60 to 80% of their ability so a 500w panel is putting out IE 300 to 400w for 6 hours that 2400watts The Panel is still collecting power early morning and in the late afternoon where it will provide between 15 to 30% of its Capacity So at around 20% it could be putting out 200 watts for about 2 hours in the morning and around 300 watts in the afternoon, So with 2400 + 200 + 300 you could get 2900w throughout the day, On the other hand if it is Cloudy all day then you might only get 25Amps for the whole day which is Only 300 watts per Day, This is why you need 6 X 120 Batteries in order to have the power in reserve, and If you get 2 or 3 Cloudy or rainy days in a row then you are going to need a 30/40 Amp Charger just to keep the batteries at a safe level.

First thing you need to do is work out the correct Wattage Needed,

Then Match your Solar Panels to your power needed then Match the Batteries to the Panels, By Rights for every Watt of Solar you Need you must have at leased 1 Ah of battery Power, So if you need 1200w of Panels then you need 1200 Amps of Batteries,

As a Rough Guide take the figures from the manuals and add them up and post them here and I will workout what you need, List the Item and the wattage and how many hours each item will be running then I can give you the figures to match,

Hope that helps.

Okay i connected everything up to 240 volt > 12 VDC power supplies and ran them at worst case , plus added a 5 km wireless access bridge which i may use later.

I put a wattmeter on the system which measures 280 Watts consumption on the 240 V supply. :/

What numbers do you get now for battery ratings ?

CreviceSucker said:
Okay i connected everything up to 240 volt > 12 VDC power supplies and ran them at worst case , plus added a 5 km wireless access bridge which i may use later.

I put a wattmeter on the system which measures 280 Watts consumption on the 240 V supply. :/

Is that 280w the total 24hr power draw ? or is it just for the time you had it plugged in,

To be able to work out the power used we need the power it used and the time it was run for, Ok

hope that helps.

you have your own answers , do the math
CreviceSucker said:

ctxkid said:
you have your own answers , do the math
CreviceSucker said:

I am confused as to what the 5 km means ??

5km is the point to point transmission range , they are devices used as access points for a network where no other native WiFi coverage exists.

AP's can be 1 km , 3km , 5km and 10 km

CreviceSucker said:
5km is the point to point transmission range , they are devices used as access points for a network where no other native WiFi coverage exists.

you have the answers ;)

CreviceSucker said:

Sorry mate but I don't understand what WiFi and distance has to do with how much power your fridge uses,

Ridge Runner said:
CreviceSucker said:

Sorry mate but I don't understand what WiFi and distance has to do with how much power your fridge uses,

Bridge not fridge

The microwaves levitate the bridge so you can slide it into the fridge.

Or

12 hours @ 280 Watts = 3360 Wh

12 hours @ 140 Watts = 1680 Wh

= 5040 Wh total

5040 / 12.5 V = 403 AH battery consumption

If using Lithium batteries which provide 80 % DOD then i assume i need 503 AH of batteries.
However AGM taken down to 30 % DOD would require 1300 AH ?

500 watt solar panel on overcast winters day > 6 hrs x 500 x 0.3 = 900 watts
500 Watt panel in winter > 6 hrs per day x 500 = 3000 Watts
500 Watt panel in summer > 9 hrs per day x 500 = 4500 watts

2 x 500 watt solar panel on overcast winters day > 6 hrs x 500 x 0.3 = 1800 watts
2 x 500 Watt panel in winter > 6 hrs per day x 500 = 6000 Watts
2 x 500 Watt panel in summer > 9 hrs per day x 500 = 9000 watts

Goes to prove the old saying, if you want the right answer, you first need to ask the right question :) (With all of the detail, lol)

Mind Reading 101, was not my best subject at school :playful:

CreviceSucker said:
Or

12 hours @ 280 Watts = 3360 Wh

12 hours @ 140 Watts = 1680 Wh

= 5040 Wh total

5040 / 12.5 V = 403 AH battery consumption

If using Lithium batteries which provide 80 % DOD then i assume i need 503 AH of batteries.
However AGM taken down to 30 % DOD would require 1300 AH ?

500 watt solar panel on overcast winters day > 6 hrs x 500 x 0.3 = 900 watts
500 Watt panel in winter > 6 hrs per day x 500 = 3000 Watts
500 Watt panel in summer > 9 hrs per day x 500 = 4500 watts

2 x 500 watt solar panel on overcast winters day > 6 hrs x 500 x 0.3 = 1800 watts
2 x 500 Watt panel in winter > 6 hrs per day x 500 = 6000 Watts
2 x 500 Watt panel in summer > 9 hrs per day x 500 = 9000 watts

Mate how has this gone from Battery Capacities, To Levitating Microwaves,

You asked about CCTV cameras and a 500w panel and now you are talking about Microwaves levitating at 5kms, what does any of this have to do with your question about CCTV cameras,

Are you just winding people up or do you have a serious question ? Because each of your posts has no connection to your Prior posts with nothing linking either one of them,

Ridge Runner said:
CreviceSucker said:

Thanks but not sure where you got powering a fridge from when the post mentioned powering CCTV ?

Cheers :)

CreviceSucker said:
Ridge Runner said:
CreviceSucker said:

Thanks but not sure where you got powering a fridge from when the post mentioned powering CCTV ?

Cheers :)

Quite simple, I misread the word Bridge, and mixed up my reply to 2 of your posts.

So what is it you actually want to achieve and what is it that you are wanting to power ?

Latest posts