A Few Of Guessologists Finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good results for a short swing.

I wish the CTX had gotten updates.

The item bottom right looks like a fob watch innard plate, but I'm not sure what the spring thingy has to do with it.

Yeah it does look like it's out of the guts of a fob watch with the punch outs but the whole assembly looks a bit fat to fit in a watch. There's a little gold/nickel plate left on it so it looks like it was meant to be seen.

I'm not alone... Found a set of prescription glasses next to a fairly recent detector hole today:

1570672883_glasses.jpg

Doubt he did too well, this particular gully hasn't really turned up much other than the odd .22 bullet, but the update had me feeling keen to try my luck at some of my less frequented sites.

Guessologist said:
I'm not alone... Found a set of prescription glasses next to a fairly recent detector hole today:

Sorry to hijack this a little bit but

Some years ago I was talking to an elderly resident at a GT CP and she told me that she had lost her false teeth in a nearby dam. She looked for them a bit and found a set - not hers - but someone else's false teeth. I still laugh at the memory. The yabbies must be the attraction to this dam.

My first ring, finally:

1570944064_ring.jpg

It's been cut and broken but it still counts I reckon. It's some kind of cheap silver alloy I guess, it tarnished in the light quickly but the snapped edge shows a lot of impurities etc and it's quite a lot lighter than if it was solid silver.

Dug a rising sun and a buckle missing it's centerpiece as well (away from my steel wool to clean them up properly):

1570944141_rising_sun.jpg

1570944128_buckle.jpg

The buckle was deep in hard soil so it copped the screwdriver, did check for the centerpiece when I realised it used to have one but it wasn't in the hole. If it's cricket related it makes it about the 5th or 6th I've pulled out of about a 200m radius there!

Found a bucket lister! Rung up as a 28-31 which jumped to 33-34 when I took the top couple of inches off, you know it's on when that happens. Again this is in ground that I've slammed both with a Go Find and my Equinox, but it's taken the latest update to really make these targets pop.

1571167014_ground.jpg

1571167072_capture.jpg

1571167147_reverse.jpg

Looks like it's an 1873...
1571167162_obverse.jpg

Jaros said:
Another keeper-well done.

Aren't they all keepers? :D I don't put them back although I've thought about re-stocking a few places for future detectorists to find once cash goes digital...

Going to take a while to rub off the rest of the horn silver, I think involving aluminium foil on this coin will be a bit harsh.

Definitely one of the better Gothic florins I've seen over the past year, congrats on the find. I wouldn't use the foil method, to much risk of damaging the coin (been there, done that) - I quite like it in its natural state.

A couple of goodies from the end of last week, I experimented on one of my iron-infested sites which is beginning to dry up by dropping the sensitivity on the Nox 600 to far lower than I've dared to go before, down to 5, and shoving the iron bias up to maximum (F2-3). I figured that this config would reduce iron falsing to such a level that even the worst non-ferrous tone was likely to be a legitimate target. It paid off:

1571685729_medallion1.jpg

1884 and 1942 half pennies, a button (Patent Improved in gothic letter) and another Diamond Jubilee medallion! All of these targets were within maybe two inches of the surface, and in the case of the medallion next to a big iron bolt. In fact the 1942 half penny gave me what I'd call an anomalously high tone, it was scratchy up around 24-26 rather than the usual 20-21 for some reason, definitely nothing else in the hole. First time I've seen that.

The medallion isn't in as good condition as my last one, but in far better than my first! It's also quite different to the last. It's lacking the massive die cracks on the portrait side and there's more raised detail so it's from earlier in the run if not a completely different die. It's also got Stokes and Son on the rim which the other doesn't appear to have. It's also slightly thicker and the hole has been punched in a different manner.

1571686257_medallion3.jpg

1571686270_medallion2.jpg

Also this carburetor nameplate which was a surface find with regular settings, bit of Googling narrows it down to early-mid '20s so it's possibly off an old Model T, there's a couple of pages of people restoring carbs with this nameplate for them:

1571686301_marvel.jpg

I've also been having a play with photogrammetry and building a 3D model of how that florin was sitting in the ground. I took about a dozen photos around the hole when I uncovered it, and fed it into the open-source Meshroom photogrammetry software to generate a model. Using CloudCompare I set the scale for the model (easy to do since I know the diameter of the coin) and can cut sections through it all. Looks like it wasn't quite sitting flat in the ground, more like at 25 degrees dip at a depth of 100mm. It'll be interesting to do the same with a coin sitting on edge in the ground if I could dig it without dislodging it...

1571697252_photogrammetry.jpg

Great Florin! Congrats. You don't see too many in that condition.

And the other finds are pretty good too.

The 3d imaging is interesting. It'll be good to see if similar coins at different angles gives similar readings/tones. I've assumed they do, but ...

Haven't got out much this week but did get 20 minutes to run my sensitivity 5 / max FE2 program over another old nail bed site of mine, slammed
on this 1877 penny almost straight away! It was only buried an inch but with this big nail on it which has masked it from my previous efforts.
1572046716_img_20191024_1140522_compress90.jpg

Its got an interesting uneven wear pattern which indicates it was bent early in it's circulation history.

It's becoming clear to me that very low sensitivity is the way to go in my iron infested sites which are coupled with strong ground mineralisation.

A few more goodies found with the current settings:

Plated silver and gold fob watch face, really badly corroded unfortunately. There's hints of an owner's name on the back but it's too far gone to worry about.
1572493793_watch_face.jpg

Strip of silver from a pipe?, 1917 threepence
1572493793_silver.jpg

Oil lamp wheel, button "NE PAS ULTRA", part of an aluminium lice comb?, Paris style buckle "Birmingham Make", unmarked button and thimble
1572493793_other.jpg

Latest posts