Satellite phones & networks + GPS Devices

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a Rhino, but have used Dougies and yeah it's a beauty. I have a little Garmin something or other I've had for a bazillion years. I have to lick the screen now to read it, but it still works like the day I got it.

Telstra is about the only cellular network out here and even then won't work in more places than it will.

My sat phone is Oridium and it's a beauty, you'd have to be down a mine shaft not to get a signal, if you can see the sky it'll work.

Very helpful of the forum...

Garmin Rino 700
Iridium Sat Phone
PLB

Deep breath and off I go.

These should give the family peace of mind.

Many thanks

John

I use a Thuraya XT-LITE. It's on a $15/mth plan with optus I activate the plan just before I go away & suspend it when I get home. It is currently suspended with about $8 or $9 credit and it will stay like that until I reactivate it. Cost was just shy of $600 2 yrs ago when I bought it. Haven't had a problem with reception thru WA, NT Qld & SA.Got me out of trouble in WA when injectors packed up last year. will send out a message to preprogrammed numbers (3) with choice of preset message or new message with GPS co-ordinates Also have a Garmin GPS 76, got a few years up on it now, but still works Ok.
Forgot to say with the phone you pay for calls you make on top of plan cheap insurance I recon

If you decide to buy the Rino's just beware about letting your mates use it. I made that mistake and heard a message come in. Looked at it and it was one of my pre-saved messages "love you". To top it off, I then forgot to get it back before I left. Another reason to go back for a drink with Tuna.

Cheers

Doug

I use Inmarsat.
Free sms from home base to the sat phone even without a top up.
If going away, I buy a 'top up voucher' and dont activate it unless needed.

However....
The last two 'vouchers' weren't needed...
So not activated and therefore lost, money gone.

If you are away often, it would pay to be on a plan.

I work out of the Pilbara and like Harbourmaster my prospecting partner and I use the Thuraya lite. Its not cheap to call out but the good thing is that calls from mobiles to the satphone are at standard call rates. I just send sms home and ask for wife to call and its cheap. Generally very clear and only slight delay. It uses a geostationary satellite above Singapore. We shut the Pivotel plans down at the end of season and get a new one with new number each year.

Rockhunter62 said:
If you decide to buy the Rino's just beware about letting your mates use it. I made that mistake and heard a message come in. Looked at it and it was one of my pre-saved messages "love you". To top it off, I then forgot to get it back before I left. Another reason to go back for a drink with Tuna.

Cheers

Doug
There was only a choice of two pre-saved messages, the "love you" one and the "hey hun.it's Saturday, that means role play night!" one. Being that it was only Wednesday I went with the first one. :D
p.s. you pair don't need a reason to go back for a drink with Tuna...always welcome! :Y:

JJB100 said:
I would appreciate if members could share with me and the forum their experience with Satellite phones and also networks covering WA.

Also looking for advice on a GPS Device, I am currently considering the Garmin eTrex 10 Handheld GPS (other devices are available).

These are the final pieces of the equipment jigsaw I am putting together before venturing out.

Regards

John

I have the Etrex 10, and yes it does the job but it can be slow when changing menus. Often when it's slow to respond I tend to hit the button again thinking that it mightn't have worked, and then only to find it goes to another page when it catches up. I believe the 20 or 30 are much quicker ... but of course more expensive.

If you accept its limitations then it's great value for money, it's battery life is OK, it's tiny and it gets me home.

Stingray said:
I work out of the Pilbara and like Harbourmaster my prospecting partner and I use the Thuraya lite. Its not cheap to call out but the good thing is that calls from mobiles to the satphone are at standard call rates. I just send sms home and ask for wife to call and its cheap. Generally very clear and only slight delay. It uses a geostationary satellite above Singapore. We shut the Pivotel plans down at the end of season and get a new one with new number each year.

Stingray,

Very useful info. I will probably go with this when up there.

Last time was when Shay Gap was being built.

regards

John

Harbourmaster said:
I use a Thuraya XT-LITE. It's on a $15/mth plan with optus I activate the plan just before I go away & suspend it when I get home. It is currently suspended with about $8 or $9 credit and it will stay like that until I reactivate it. Cost was just shy of $600 2 yrs ago when I bought it. Haven't had a problem with reception thru WA, NT Qld & SA.Got me out of trouble in WA when injectors packed up last year. will send out a message to preprogrammed numbers (3) with choice of preset message or new message with GPS co-ordinates Also have a Garmin GPS 76, got a few years up on it now, but still works Ok.
Forgot to say with the phone you pay for calls you make on top of plan cheap insurance I recon
Harbourmaster,

Very detailed and welcomed response.

Many thanks.

regards

John

G'day everyone, i'm looking at sat phones or sat sleeves?

what is you opinions on this?

what option is cheaper.. not that you can put a price on safety and also what are the costs involved? plans ect

FYI - The difference between devices is generally shape n size, however;

EPIRB - designed to be used with marine vessels and are registered to a vessel.
ELT - are used in aviation and registered to an aircraft.
PLB - for individuals and registered to a person.

You can carry a PLB on water, i.e. River or Coastal, but they do not negate the requirement for an EPIRB.

All are registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) and they ask where you intend to use it in determining the right type of beacon for you. Beacons must also meet Australian Standards to be registered, so be careful if you are thinking of buying overseas or on "Evilbay:

The KTI SA2G is probably the most economic. Registration is free and the battery has a 10 year life. Other brands of PLBs can have ongoing subscription i.e. SPOT.

My Garmin MT410G battery runs out at the end of this year, the cost of refurbishment and postage, makes the KTI more viable and it's a lot smaller than the GME.

condor22 said:
FYI - The difference between devices is generally shape n size, however;

EPIRB - designed to be used with marine vessels and are registered to a vessel.
ELT - are used in aviation and registered to an aircraft.
PLB - for individuals and registered to a person.

You can carry a PLB on water, i.e. River or Coastal, but they do not negate the requirement for an EPIRB.

All are registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) and they ask where you intend to use it in determining the right type of beacon for you. Beacons must also meet Australian Standards to be registered, so be careful if you are thinking of buying overseas or on "Evilbay:

The KTI SA2G is probably the most economic. Registration is free and the battery has a 10 year life. Other brands of PLBs can have ongoing subscription i.e. SPOT.

My Garmin MT410G battery runs out at the end of this year, the cost of refurbishment and postage, makes the KTI more viable and it's a lot smaller than the GME.

My GME Accusat (PLB) battery has also just run out so I am in the market a replacement. So when the stay at home conditions ease a bit, I will be out looking myself.

Rob P.

I wouldn't use a sat sleeve as you are tied to a particular mobile so upgrading/replacing is a problem.