Inverell crystals

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Cloud cover over Inverell this morning and a nice breeze,
so at about 10am through a few tools into the 4x4, grabbed
some meat for the bull ants to keep them occupied while
i dig and headed out to a new spot i had a feeling about,
but lousy with ticks and bull ants. After 20 mins digging
i started to get small crystals and with a sweep of the
bottom of the hole a couple of points appeared.
happy with what came out,will give it a clean up later. :pickshovel:
1546923105_crystal_2.jpg

1546923176_crystal_raw.jpg

That place sounds like hell when you have to take bait for the bull ants, and it's lousy with ticks!
You have to be really keen to go there, I reckon!

So big congrats for the great find, mate! What a trooper! :Y:

Cheers,
Megsy

1547440883_imag4735_1_1-min.jpg
1547440929_imag4736-min.jpg

Went and had a dig at Stanifer early this morning,
4am start, love the bush that hour of the day, backpack,
sieve and shovel and a lot of enthusiasm to sink a hole
away from the usual sites in this area, bit of a hike on foot,
but was worth it, dug and sieved for 2 hours, the bottom
of this run of wash was only about half a metre down, so
easy pickings. All destined for the tumbler, except one well
defined smokey.
On the way home it was good to see a few
people with there kids having a dig in the creek.

Staggy Creek reserve was pretty good today, apart from a 3:30am start from the hunter valley. Got a few nice pieces of tourmaline as well as a couple of pieces of smokey quartz. Sleeping in car tonight near bingara, going call in to Ruby hill first thing tomorrow on my way home.

Stu. :Y:

Stupaul said:
Staggy Creek reserve was pretty good today, apart from a 3:30am start from the hunter valley. Got a few nice pieces of tourmaline as well as a couple of pieces of smokey quartz. Sleeping in car tonight near bingara, going call in to Ruby hill first thing tomorrow on my way home.

Stu. :Y:

good for you Stu, Staggy creek can be quiet rewarding at times.
The western side of ruby hill seems to be the best, good luck :Y:

Only spent an hour and a half at Ruby hill,had to head back home. Took some material home to process later. Probably ended up with a couple of hundred carats of tourmaline, scales need calibration. Don't have any photos yet,phone cam not to good.
Stu

That is a nice find RR. Is that from your secret bullant location or another from the Stannifer area? Will be going through that area with my son on Friday for a look. Tried to go to Stannifer on my last trip but ended up semi lost in the bush. Was just after the big fire and most of the tracks were blocked by fallen trees.

Hi everyone.
Is it better to go upstream or downstream when looking for sapphire ?
I tried googling an answer but I must be asking the wrong question.

Hey RR, sorry I didn't get in touch with you as planned a couple of weeks ago. My phone died on the way, think it had something to do with falling into the water at Uralla. My son and I found some reasonable crystals at a couple of spots I'd already researched but I'm sure that with your help we could have done better. Hope you got over the flew and I'll definitely get in touch next time I visit the area. Thanks again for your offer of help mate. I will post pics of our finds when I get a chance.