Electric / Cordless / Battery Powered Chainsaw recommendations

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been thinking about an electric chainsaw for a bit, good thread...in the interim here are some cheap alternatives...although not as convenient by any means.

Ye olde 'Y' shaped tree trunk and just break the logs you find using the 'Y' as a brace. Bendy, Bendy, Snappy, Snappy. Works a treat. Megsy put me onto that recently. Granted it maybe difficult to find a 'Y' shaped tree trunk.

Also a bow saw is a cheap and very effective way to cut decent size logs. This one does a cut in about 90 seconds on a good sized log...
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/RFKL-QLDALk?t=180[/video]

For saving space and weight when camping has anyone suggestions for a 'smaller' electric chainsaw? The ones I've seen are a decent size..

diggit said:
I've been thinking about an electric chainsaw for a bit, good thread...in the interim here are some cheap alternatives...although not as convenient by any means.

Ye olde 'Y' shaped tree trunk and just break the logs you find using the 'Y' as a brace. Bendy, Bendy, Snappy, Snappy. Works a treat. Megsy put me onto that recently. Granted it maybe difficult to find a 'Y' shaped tree trunk.

Also a bow saw is a cheap and very effective way to cut decent size logs. This one does a cut in about 90 seconds on a good sized log...
[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/RFKL-QLDALk?t=180[/video]

For saving space and weight when camping has anyone suggestions for a 'smaller' electric chainsaw? The ones I've seen are a decent size..

If that log was dry Grey box or Iron bark it would be a very long Video

Opalian said:
Aldie sold some time ago the jigsaw with quite sizable blades. It looks like for small pieces of wood they ought to be quite good. It is a 20V thing with 6 amp battery. I bought one, just because it was cheap and seemed useful for camping and prospecting in the bush. I intend to use mostly a rocket stove for cooking and fire. The rocket stove is very fuel efficient, can use a reject wood, small twigs, even pail. Normally uses quite thin branches. Did anyone get that 20V jigsaw and tried it ion the real camping conditions? So far, I didn't manage yet to move on with my travel plans. That's why am asking, just curious. So far, I'm still stacked waiting for some ordered supplies, before I move on.

Jigsaw or reciprocating saw?

I use a Dewalt recip saw for pruning which is brilliant but for firewood i wouldnt bother.

Some of the prices on batteries and chargers is just plain gouging! The wife bought an Aldi 36v lawn mower for $150 which is simply amazing. Cuts as well as a Victa 2T. Batteries and chargers are cheap so ill have to wait for the battery saw to come up. If Aldi can provide batteries and chargers at a fraction of the cost it only proves the likes of Stihl and Husky are ripping us off.

I have 7 Husky chainsaws between 77cc and 100cc but one of these would be real handy!

Ive got a Stihl for the big jobs but needed an electric one to climb a tree at my sons place and cut a tree down from tge top.....no room to fell it.
I got an Aldi saw$80.If it dies on the 2nd job I got my moneys worth.

I got the 12" Stihl for about $420 over 12 months ago and have used it heaps.
Battery lasts long enough to cut enough wood for a day or two at least, as long as you keep it sharp. ( i bought a spare chain )
You will flatten battery much quicker if you try to force it through.
I usually cut wood up to around 200mm thick although have cut through much thicker
I charge with a 300 watt inverter.
I would recommend one of these without any hesitation.
Cheers
Mick

Latest posts