Handle for scoop.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2lateagain

Too old to care anyway.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a bit of TIG welding this morning, made a small stainless steel handle for the scoop so I can drag the long handle of the scoop along in the sand so I can see where I have been and not keep going over the same area, painted it just to make it look ok. Have to do a bit more TIG as enjoy it when it all looks good.

1554432428_dscf1830.jpg

TIG welding bit of an art to make it look pretty, I have TIG welded a lot of aluminium and stainless over the years and can say I will never produce art work, as long as it hold or does not leak is all that matters, function over form anyday! however the more you do the better and faster you get.

I've never done much TIG but it's a bit like oxy welding on steroids. I'd say it's all in controlling the molten pool although when oxy welding you have a lot more time to control it. That looks like a good strong weld.

Perhaps you should drag a chain like we do for gold prospecting?

If I had a chain dragging on the back some would think that I am an escapee from some sort of Hospital, they all think I have problem with just dragging the handle, but at my age there seems to be a lot of things that drag and sag, by dragging the handle it is less weight that I have to carry. :Y: :Y: Thinking all the time.

Graham

Latest posts