Leather Gaiters v Canvas Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As title says. About to pop for a decent set from Double D. For an extra $15 there are the leather ones. Any one use the Leather gaiters? Higher upkeep, hotter or noticeably heavier than the canvas ones? Or just KISS and get the canvas ones.

Any thoughts??

RM Outback said:
Canvas will breath better than leather doesn't mean you won't experience sweating it's a given on a hot day with a wrap around your legs. Definitely canvas for me leather once saturated takes a while to dry whereas canvas will dry alot quicker that's why I never wear leather jocks :playful:

Am I correct in asking that you are the first person in the Universe that is, publicly at least, canvassing for canvas jocks? :p

Double D Canvas for me. You can get these full-length Leather ones for complete protection, don't know why they aren't showing the guy swinging his detector though??? :/ Seems a funny looking finds pouch in the front also. I must be getting old..........

1571129238_8-18040.jpg

I use Snakeprotex and I think they are great. The metal buckle does not get detected at all on a normal swing path. Sometimes when Im not picking up any targets, not even junk, I swing the coil to the inside of my leg where the buckle is just to check everything is working fine. Id go the snakeprotex because they are specifically designed to protect against snakes. There is a new model out even better than the previous. Im getting a pair of the new ones for my wife. A bit expensive but its worth it for the peace of mind and protection they provide.

DanielMaranello said:
Has anybody tried the SnakeProtex gaiters? If so what are your thoughts.

Regards
Daniel :pickshovel:

Yup, I bought a pair a couple of months ago and have worn them twice.

The metal components do not affect the signal on my GPX5000 at all. They are definitely not the most comfortable gators that I have worn but I figured that they at least have attempted to address snake bites with some testing rather than assuming that they work. My previous gators were made of heavy canvas which I thought were good enough (they also had metal studs but did not affect the signal) but after reading that snake fangs are quite thin and can penetrate even tough canvas I thought I would invest in a pair.

I certainly think that they are more expensive than they ought to be, but I guess you're paying for the R & D.

Are they worth it? I'll tell you if and when I get tagged.

Dignit said:
I use Snakeprotex and I think they are great. The metal buckle does not get detected at all on a normal swing path. Sometimes when Im not picking up any targets, not even junk, I swing the coil to the inside of my leg where the buckle is just to check everything is working fine. Id go the snakeprotex because they are specifically designed to protect against snakes. There is a new model out even better than the previous. Im getting a pair of the new ones for my wife. A bit expensive but its worth it for the peace of mind and protection they provide.

Thanks Dignit.

Regards

Anolphart said:
DanielMaranello said:
Has anybody tried the SnakeProtex gaiters? If so what are your thoughts.

Regards

Yup, I bought a pair a couple of months ago and have worn them twice.

The metal components do not affect the signal on my GPX5000 at all. They are definitely not the most comfortable gators that I have worn but I figured that they at least have attempted to address snake bites with some testing rather than assuming that they work. My previous gators were made of heavy canvas which I thought were good enough (they also had metal studs but did not affect the signal) but after reading that snake fangs are quite thin and can penetrate even tough canvas I thought I would invest in a pair.

I certainly think that they are more expensive than they ought to be, but I guess you're paying for the R & D.

Are they worth it? I'll tell you if and when I get tagged.

Thanks Anolphart.

Regards

The trick with canvas gaitors is to wear them as loose as possible. They aren't there to be impenetrable to snake fangs, they are there to put some distance between your skin and the fangs, and to collect most/all of the venom on the material.

It's also dependent on where you detect- In Victoria you mostly won't find a snake with fangs long enough to go through loose canvas gaitors, loose pants, and then skin. Brown snakes only have fangs 2 to 4mm long. Tiger Snakes have fangs only about 3.5mm long. And then, try not to be alarmist about the true situation- If you're detecting in the GT, in most places what people think are brown snakes are actually Mitchells short-tailed snake, which is common around dunolly and surrounds and readily identifiable if you look at its head coloring, and although venomous its venom is not considered harmful to humans. Around the GT There's also the blind snake- harmless, Legless lizard (which looks like a snake but again harmless), Bandy-Bandy- weakly venomous and with a mouth so small you'd have to stick your little pinky in its face if you wanted to get bitten.

The Coastal Taipan by comparison, has fangs up to 12mm long and has one of the most potent venoms of Australian snakes, but you won't find it in Victoria. Just like anything to do with our hobby, do your research. There's no point in walking around like a Knight in armor sweating your gonads off if you don't have to.

Latest posts