Snake sightings, encounters and reminders.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen a 6 footer Brown crossing road yesterday, and a tiger today on channel bank. They are out and moving, been pretty dry so theyll be a bit more wriggly this year. Get a set of sturdy boots and gaitors bud.

Truth is they just more active as it warms, seen the Browns in grass, haystacks and open feilds when theres frost around.

1571139399_85c5db7e-90eb-4f18-a965-d42b74547f84.jpg

One I only saw a few metres out they are hard to spot if they are still but looking out for their shine and shape helps.
Scan as you step guys! They are hungry and out.
I spend more time looking at the ground then whats 20-30m in front of me Im out bush most days.

The mrs nearly walked onto a big tiger snake out near Tuena who still had his breakie frog in his mouth and another was on a mission through the same place she was sitting.

Id had a swing and finished and was standing in front of her while she sat in a camp chair.
Noticed movement 5m to my left, saw this small 2 ft youngy going like a rocket towards her. It covered the ground sooo quick he was haulin...and Ive seen my fair share of snakes.

Told her to jump up super quick, she hardly reacted just looked at me, typical, by this stage Im thinking crap shes either gonna step onto it getting off or its gonna climb her chair...yelled snake stay where you are...she understood and instantly all limbs are up in the air lol

Little bugger went straight under her chair hooked a hard left and was gone into the rocks a few meters behind her.
Scared her so bad. Exactly what she needed. Now she actually believes me.

They are out and about in queensland yellowmellow. My missus was leaning on my bbq feeding the birds and didnt see the little 2m+ carpet snake right next to her until i pointed him out to her. I never seen her run so fast :lol: :lol: . He was safely relocated down to the trees at the back of my property :D
1571379481_ezgif.com-gif-maker_1.jpg

Yes, Ive seen a few red belly blacks and a big python on the cycling track (Brisbane) over winter, its always mild up here.... The smallest one a little RBB was very aggressive, having a lunge at the front wheel as I slowed down to pass him.

Dunolly - Tarnagulla area GT. Rang around - this is what I have been told/seen myself.

Laanecoorie Lakeside Caravan Park - Browns on the move around the weir and the overflow area. A dog was whacked last week, probably a brown, up near the houses. Idiots seen climbing around the rocks.
Tarnagulla - Browns about - again, near water. Have only seen one near the creek line where German Track crosses Hill and Dale area.
Wanyarra - up around the dams I have been told.
Dunolly - across from the caravan park near the railway silos, but that's normal given the wheat/mice. Railway boys reckon they are early, big and as nasty as ever!!

So, situation normal for the GT around here this time of the year.

Seeing a fair bit of road kill around here.
Definitely on the move but didn't get far. :awful:
Why did the snake try and cross the road.....

Yellowmellow, The most dangerous snake is the 'Hoop' snake, which will chase you by clenching its tail in its mouth and rolling like a wheel. By this method it can reach greater speeds than you can run. Your only defense is to climb the nearest tree, as it is unable to climb.

Reg Wilson said:
Yellowmellow, The most dangerous snake is the 'Hoop' snake, which will chase you by clenching its tail in its mouth and rolling like a wheel. By this method it can reach greater speeds than you can run. Your only defense is to climb the nearest tree, as it is unable to climb.
Na, The trouser snake is far more dangerous .

I have not seen a single snake while detecting ever....which is odd, considering we have lots...have seen a couple in the backyard and in town, but none out bush.
Plenty of snake trails though.
Now this is all theory and conjecture, but I think that perhaps snakes can sense the pulse from the PI into the ground and they hide or move away....
Thats what I am telling myself anyway :)

Caravan in the bush in winter, 10m grey water hose out from the van under the nearest tree, local birds search out maybe bits of grated carrot etc.

In Spring I put a sock on the end of the hose, as I do want snakes attracted to the water and wriggling up the hose and poking their head out thru the shower plug hole.

Latest posts