Appropriate equipment for task

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have a question regarding what the best gold detecting equipment might be for a spacific task as outlined below.

All hypothetical of course lol.

I have a 50 meter by 50 meter square grid to search for a large gold deposit ( say its 10 kg in weight).
Its buried 1 to 2 meters deep, and in moist slightly clayish ground.
There are no underground services anywhere around.
Question,
What would you use to find it ?
Detector?
ground penetrating radar machine?
What would be portable
Iam not sure of the ground surface if its rough or flat.
What machine will do the specific job, i dont need it for anything else.
Thanks

A crystal ball :playful:

1 to 2 metres in moist slightly clayish ground not sure if surface is rough or flat does this mean it could be sloped or steep gully, old creek bed. If it's a deposit of 10kg in a 50 X 50 location it all depends on size of the targets and the distribution within the area.

Large gold deposit of 10kg over the area you mentioned at 1 to 2 metres. I'd say it's small to medium alluvial. With the area size and depth it equates to 5000 square metres which gives you 1/2gm per square metre, at $64.66 (current price of the hour) per gram for 22 karat depending on location. How much time do you have to get it out and processed to sell it will give you the answer to the machinery required to do the job.

Sounds interesting :Y: keep us posted :beer:

That's easy. A TM4, it is a deep search locator made by the crowd at the University of New England. Would only take you about an hour to do the search and another half hour to transcribe the information through the computer.

The hardest part would be getting hold of a TM4. Otherwise a Forster 4023 Locator.

Cheers

Doug

a pick and a pan :lol: maybe loam the area, 50x50 meter is not a large area to loam, it will show you where the heavier deposits are and go from there ,i don't use metal detectors but i don't think they go that deep,but as RM said keep us posted :beer:

1571032706_20191014_155327-801x501.jpg

Thanks for the replys,

Well, covid and travel restrictions put off our plans for 2 years, but where now getting ready again for a treasure hunt !.

To be more specific about the task and what's going on,

My best mate (Philippino) was told by his dieing grandfather before he passed about 10yrs ago where some ww2 Japanese loot was roughly located in there village in the Philippines.
The grandfather had aparantly found a large clay water pot full of gold Jewlery and mixed gold items while digging by accident.
Also with it where some gold bars outside of the pot.

Long story short, he re- buried it ! ,for fear of being killed over it and superstitious beliefs and never spoke of it untill he was passing.

So my previous, original post was to try and find someone who has great knowledge of deep detecting equipment ( no deeper than a meter ) to suggest what machine could detect it.
I have tried to research this for the last 2 years and decided to buy a fisher gemini 3 two box detector, as there relativity cheap and supposedly good at larger type deep targets.

But I would still value any input on what else could do the job.
I'd like to take a second machine.
I was looking at the nokta macro invineo, but damm there expensive.
Anyone have knowledge of deep detectors?
Advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

If you are only looking in a 50 x 50 m area and one person buried it by hand relatively quickly then 2m deep is prob max likely depth.

If you are fairly sure your efforts wont attract undue attention you can start cheaply & work up to the more expensive methods.

1st : A big coil or a 2 box detector just on a GPS gridded walk around first. If jungle or plantation then these will be limited in effectiveness as you simply wont be able to cover 100% of the ground, or even 25%.

2nd: If you can freely access the area without risk then maybe you will need to clear the ground cover off with an earth mover of some sort (maybe not a JCB JS370 :) ) to allow them to be used effectively.

3rd: Cut a 1m deep costean for 50m along one edge of the area & then detect base and sides of costean and then refill the cut with the next cut & keep going. Next cut can be 1m apart from 1st if you detect the sides well. So only need ~25 x50m cuts. Wont be fast ( unless you DO have a JS370 : ) but since 10kg Au= $830k AUD I reckon you will still make a profit . ....If nothing found you will still have an expensive ploughed field so bananas might be in order

Last edited:
If you are only looking in a 50 x 50 m area and one person buried it by hand relatively quickly then 2m deep is prob max likely depth.

If you are fairly sure your efforts wont attract undue attention you can start cheaply & work up to the more expensive methods.

1st : A big coil or a 2 box detector just on a GPS gridded walk around first. If jungle or plantation then these will be limited in effectiveness as you simply wont be able to cover 100% of the ground, or even 25%.

2nd: If you can freely access the area without risk then maybe you will need to clear the ground cover off with an earth mover of some sort (maybe not a JCB JS370 :) ) to allow them to be used effectively.

3rd: Cut a 1m deep costean for 50m along one edge of the area & then detect base and sides of costean and then refill the cut with the next cut & keep going. Next cut can be 1m apart from 1st if you detect the sides well. So only need ~25 x50m cuts. Wont be fast ( unless you DO have a JS370 : ) but since 10kg Au= $830k AUD I reckon you will still make a profit . ....If nothing found you will still have an expensive ploughed field so bananas might be in order
Great, thanks.
So you think just take the 2 box gemini?
I was wondering what else I could take , if the Gemini breaks or we have any trouble with it.
Plus there's 2 of us and we could both be covering the ground with different machines.
Thanks

The ground won't likely be highly mineralized so a GPZ7000 running in normal with smoothing off and sensitivity as high as possible is all you'll need, take a 19" coil just in case but you'll probably not need it if 10kg @ around a metre deep.
Ever thought "if this is real" that if it was reburied where he found it that the persons that buried it just might have been back in the last 75 years?
Have a nice holiday in a Phillipino prison if they don't shoot you that is!

I thought this story was familiar and I just remembered watching a lost gold episode where someone's grandfather gave info out on his death bed of gold buried in the Philippines. Subsequently a team of yanks went looking for a hut it was buried close to, thought they found it, they got an excavator to scrape an area about half the size of a football pitch all for a surprise suprise wild goose chase. As they always are!

I thought this story was familiar and I just remembered watching a lost gold episode where someone's grandfather gave info out on his death bed of gold buried in the Philippines. Subsequently a team of yanks went looking for a hut it was buried close to, thought they found it, they got an excavator to scrape an area about half the size of a football pitch all for a surprise suprise wild goose chase. As they always are!
Yeah yeah, I know how it sounds,
Believe me , I've watched all those shows and heard all the scams.
What where looking for however was allready found, then moved and reburied by his grandfather, where just trying to relocate it.

Regardless, I was never trying to convince anyone of anything,
I'm just asking for technical advice in deep searching gold detecting methods.
It will be fun either way.

Yeah yeah, I know how it sounds,
Believe me , I've watched all those shows and heard all the scams.
What where looking for however was allready found, then moved and reburied by his grandfather, where just trying to relocate it.

Regardless, I was never trying to convince anyone of anything,
I'm just asking for technical advice in deep searching gold detecting methods.
It will be fun either way.
I hope you find it I love a good treasure hunt & you're right it'll be an awesome trip. Gpz 7000 will do the job I recon' take the 19" coil too just in case it's too deep for the 14 (10kg 14" should be enough) cheers!

Latest posts