Satellite communicators - Spot, Zoleo, Garmin Inreach etc.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Custom Fit Safety said:
For those interested they are up on the website now with special pricing for those that are thinking about getting one.

My advice take advantage now and also get the free freight offer as well.

I will be adding the delorme details shortly(thanks blisters), plus many other goodies -

http://customfitsafety.com.au/t/communications

Any questions let me know and any custom is always appreciated.

Take care out there :)
are you the sponsor to the forum guy :)

I'd like to add that I have no affiliation with Delorme or others and did not buy one myself. I researched options a while ago and this was one of them that I thought may be another option similar to the Spot for you given your situation.
Jon

while on this subject i have a bushnell 5 tracker and on occasion i can see the car 3 or4 hundred mts away and the arrow will point the opposite way on the tracker has anyone got one of these and doyou have trouble with it kanga1934

Hi Folks. I am a motorcycle rider and i purchased the Garmin Inreach last year. Thought it worth a review... cost around $750

First of all as a personal safety device it is excellent.

It is NOT a great GPS, My favourite GPS is a Garmin Montana (Bike) or Garmin GPS 64ST (handheld) ... both of these connect with Garmin Base Camp, the Inreach DOES NOT

But where this thing excels is as a PLB and satellite communication, Personal Tracking and "Back to Camp" directions

I am a regular traveller so i paid $39 to register on the immersat system and $20 per month for the ability to send text messages via satellite. I can send and receive texts from anywhere in the world to anyone including emergency services if needed

It has a SOS function, exactly the same as any PLB or epirb device

It is paired with my mobile phone giving me a larger viewing screen for the maps and ability to text anyone on my contact list VIA SATELLITE FROM ANYWHERE... i only get 10 free texts. After that i begin to pay 75c per message both inbound and outbound.. cheap in an emergency... battery use is high in my phone when paired

The tracking function is awesome. My partner at home can check in on my location at any time. If i were to crash my bike she will see that i have stopped unexpectedly and can raise the alarm if i am unable

Emergency services can communicate with me via text. They can locate me and also see via tracking how i got i to my often remote location

It has a lithium battery that runs around 60 hours between charges and a carabiner to clip onto my harness. I keep it on my person at all times

Overall this is a great peace of mind and vital part of my kit. If it could pair with Garmin Base Camp it would be perfect.

hey Nuggz that sounds like a good piece of kit. Shame it doesn't pair with Base Camp.
I use a Garmin GPS Map 64S & have now added a kti PLB (at my daughter & brothers insistence, I agree its good to have), but am now contemplating if this would have been better, or in combo.

Thanks for the post. I have just bought the mini for prospecting. I do get into some rugged terrain here In Gippsland and mobile phone coverage is not that great. The Garmin Inreach Mini will give me a bit of peace of mind. ?

Hi, I read Nuggz report on his inreach device, and as I am contemplating buying one similar called the garmin inReach mini, I was wondering if anybody else has bought, used, any first hand info on these units and the quality of the services/features it offers. Also info on the costs method involved for accessing the satellite texting features. Any help appreciated

Garmin has a new device the gpsmap 66i. Its like the 60 series but also has the satellite comms via inreach. So you can have all electronic mapping and comms in one device. Unfortunately it uses an integrated lithium ion battery so you cannot just pop in another set of AAs. You could (and should) pack a power bank or two with you in case it dies on ya.

Not sure about cost, but the organizers of an Event I attend out near Cobar uses them heaps as there's no cell service and due to the terrain UHF's are almost useless.

I was taking to the shop about 3 days ago about purchasing one. Can anyone please give me advice on which make and model to get.??
~The salesperson explained that SPOT X is not as good as Garmin inReach which is the best. There is the Garmin inReach Messanger & Mini 2, Garmin GPS Map 66i & 67i, Zoleo, ACR Bivy Stick, and Somewhere Global Hotspot.
~”Not available” on the iPhone 13, only available the iPhone 14 which has the capability of an emergency PLB (free subscription for 2 years).
~Then a monthly subscription fee has to be paid for all the other ones, along with an activation fee.
~PLB’s can also be used for “texting”.
~So which PLB does anyone recommend.??

Deano:
I was taking to the shop about 3 days ago about purchasing one. Can anyone please give me advice on which make and model to get.??
~The salesperson explained that SPOT X is not as good as Garmin inReach which is the best. There is the Garmin inReach Messanger & Mini 2, Garmin GPS Map 66i & 67i, Zoleo, ACR Bivy Stick, and Somewhere Global Hotspot.

These messaging devices are NOT PLBs. PLBs do one thing and one thing only - act as a beacon that sends a notification to global emergency response satellites, to which your regional emergency organisation promptly responds. PLBs are simple and very effective, with no subscription or ongoing charges. Because they are only triggered when necessary, they do not need regular recharging to keep the batteries topped up.

The devices mentioned, with a range of sophisticated messaging features, are only 'sorta/kinda' emergency location devices. They have a variety of primary navigation, location and communications functions and include an emergency location function of some sort. Such gizmos are more expensive, need regular recharging and incur various setup and ongoing operating/usage charges.

Here in Australia, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority has responsibility for PLB approval and registration. These are the currently available makes and models:
https://beacons.amsa.gov.au/about/beacon-types.asp#Personal-Locator-Beacon-PLB

Deane, I have a Garmin Montana 700i GPS that is integrated with Garmin Inreach. I use it on my motorcycle and when I’m prospecting, it is a big unit with large touch screen and easy to use. It works for me, I previously had a spot 3, but it was less functional than the Montana.

The Satellite Messengers, while working similar to a PLB (with the SOS function), DO NOT have the same support in Australia nor do they work exactly like a PLB. They are similar at best.

- The Satellite Messengers (with the SOS function) require a COMPATIBLE & ACTIVE satellite, cellular or other communication network service plan to work.
A PLB does not require this.

- PLB's that meet Australian Standards + requirements are able to be directly registered for no cost with the AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) who are Australian Search & Rescue (SAR) providers. Satellite messengers cannot be registered with them nor can the SOS function.

- Satellite Messengers with the SOS function send SOS distress signals to GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center (IERCC) which is owned by Garmin.
https://www.iercc.com/en-US/about/PLB's activated in Australia contact local LUT's (Local User Terminals) & MCC's (Mission Control Centres).
https://www.amsa.gov.au/safety-navi...pas-sarsat-search-and-rescue-satellite-systemIf registered correctly, as they should be, the JRCC (Joint Rescue Coordination Centre) will then have your personal details, any notified trips, emergency contacts, vehicle/vessel details etc. already on hand (not coming further delayed through an international third party).

My opinion only but the best option in Australia is still to have a PLB & if going remote often a Satellite Phone also.
The Satellite Messengers are stuck somewhere in the twilight between both of these & are a lot less effective than having both a PLB + Satellite Phone available.
Not withstanding IMO they are still a good bit of kit with some great features but will be soon made somewhat redundant by 5G Advanced mobile network + phones.

Latest posts