Clay gully coffs harbour

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday
Ive been doing a bit of scratching around coffs and im try to find specifically where clay gully is.
Ive been along clay gully road to where it crosses the towallum river which ive sampled with poor result.
Pm me with any info youd like to share if you dont want it seen by the public.

Thanks mate ill give it a go, I've mainly be upstream from that point on the towallum

Hi All,

I went out to take a look at Clay Gully over the last week, but unfortunately I never made it to the actual mine area.

I tried accessing Clay Gully via the Kangaroo Creek State forest side, but a mere 1 km from the little bridge at Clay Gully on the map, the road became so brutal that I couldn't pass it in my Subaru Forester. I then drove around the other side and came in North to try and get to Clay Gully, passed one gate, which is a standard cattle gate, but the second gate had a large sign with 'Private Property; firearms may be in use' written on it. Now I'm not one to cross into private property without people's consent, and I was wondering if I had in fact been in the right place.

Which direction have others taken to get to Clay Gully? Coming in by way of the State Forest or in from the North? The state forest way definitely needs a bit of a full bunta 4WD as a Forester won't cut it.

Anyone have any experience with either of the above entries to the Clay Gully area?

My holden trax will not get in there either..

Trying to find some where to go panning..

Plus I am not good on directions :lol: :lol:

Goody

goody2shoes said:
My holden trax will not get in there either..

Trying to find some where to go panning..

Plus I am not good on directions :lol: :lol:

Goody
Can you find your way back to the Holden dealer and tell him "this isn't cutting it for me!" Ha

Joshlv said:
Gday
Ive been doing a bit of scratching around coffs and im try to find specifically where clay gully is.
Ive been along clay gully road to where it crosses the towallum river which ive sampled with poor result.
Pm me with any info youd like to share if you dont want it seen by the public.

will this help mate

1569719986_towallum_river_nsw.jpg

Yeah requires a good 4wd with a lift kit to get through the washouts near the crossing.
There are easier accessible gullies around the same area with gold. There are a lot of tracks not on the maps

Bugger me, Im up near Coffs for a bit visiting my sister. Took the nephew out today with grand dreams.
I have zero knowledge of the area, just a few tips from Goody.

We tried in the Orara river, and then went up to Glenreagh and Tallawudjah Creek, access is limited at best.

Got a couple of micro dots in the pan from Tallawudjah, certainly not enough to keep us there.
The gravels are so loose I was surprised to even find fly poop, honestly they must have been >300 mesh.

So this Towallum River holds colour then?

I was going to try Bucca Bucca creek tomorrow.

Bathurst has spoilt me I think :goldpan:

When following along Tallawudjah Ck rd, there is a road off on the right that heads up the hill into the Forest, its marked as State forest, You should have gone up there with 70+ mines and creeks to explore ;) ..
Most of the Gold is further up in the hills now and most creek crossings have some colour in them up there if you look hard enough..
Get a topo map of the area (from Coffs Camping ) or a good map and head up into the hills, you will soon find something, if not it's a great drive anyhow...

But with a lot of searching and local knowledge and keeping out of National Parks, the rewards are all worth it...

Do you have a 4x4? as in many places you really NEED one... :(

Google search for 'Georges Gold Mine' and try and read a copy of the book, that has some very useful info in it too...

LW

Thank you for the info Lonewolf, seems I was not too far away from where I need to be. Might have to wait til next visit to get back up there, Id imagine its not the best place to get stuck when its wet.
Took the young fella fishing instead, 8 bream, 1 flathead and 1 whiting later he was pretty happy with the results.

Latest posts