Bring and Store water

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone

My question may be dumb but how do you store/keep the water you bring for camping in the desert ? I am talking of camping for several days which represents up to 100 or 200 L.

And is it necessary to store the water not to direct sun light or to add anything (chemicals or whatever) to stabilise it and avoid any growth of bacteria ?

Thanks for your help

best to carry 20lt drums don't put all your water into 1 container if it fails you loose all your water and water wont go off in a few days so no chemicals needed

Chlorinated tap water in (plastic) drums kept out of direct sunlight should be okay. Think about size, 20lt is 20 kg will you or someone else need to lift it and where to i.e. up into high rear of vehicle, 10lt is easier. Drums with taps &/or provision for fitting are convenient.

I've got 150lts in water bag look up gum tree water storage it a mob in vic there all different types of of them

My issues with water -

My van is modest in size and only has 1 x 60 lt tank (not much for an ensuite). Second, when bush camping, there's the issue of transporting water from the source back to the van. Thirdly, I'm well past lugging 20kg too far and especially trying to hold it high enough to decant into the van filler. Here's my solution/s.

I carry 3 x 20 lt empty jerry cans on the roof rack, a small folding alum sack truck by the side of the rear 4x4 drawers and a pump arrangement.

1570844955_jerry.jpg

Note - water grade hose :) Sorry for the rotation of the pic.

As I have heavy duty Anderson extension leads, 1 x 5M and 1 x 10M for my compressor, they also double to power the pump. I go into town or where I get my water, fill the 3 jerries. Two will fit on the floor area of the front passenger seat and another behind that seat. If I can't get the car close to the tap, I use the sack truck to move the full cans back to the car. I also have a 3/8 coiled hose with tap fittings and nozzle if needed to fill the cans.
The pump is screwed to a shed spade hook from Bunnings and hooks over the jerry handle. The hoses have a quick connect, O ring sealed fitting to go into the pump which I remove to store in the front boot. I use a length of poly pipe in the jerry to guide the hose. This keeps the hose straight and to the bottom of the can. I made up the wiring loom with a switch, inline fuse and Anderson, which I can plug into the 4x4 or the van battery to operate the pump. The pump delivers 11 L.P.M. so less than 2 minutes to empty the jerry.

Next to no lifting and lugging and no holding 20 kg for 5 minutes :) So when camped, I have 60 lt in tank and another 60 lt secured to the wheel near the tank filler for a total of 120lt.

Forgot to mention the 2 hoses are the same length, so can be used either side of the pump. I got the length right for the one going into the can, then made up an identical second one.

I've come back to camp intent on filling water, cracked a tinny and can enjoy it's contents whilst I watch the water tank fill :)

Joffrey said:
Hello everyone

My question may be dumb but how do you store/keep the water you bring for camping in the desert ? I am talking of camping for several days which represents up to 100 or 200 L.

And is it necessary to store the water not to direct sun light or to add anything (chemicals or whatever) to stabilise it and avoid any growth of bacteria ?

Thanks for your help

Water stored in desert conditions, rather ought to be treated by some chemicals, or other means, if stored for extended period of time. To get sick from bad water in a bush or desert, far from civilisation is not recommendable. One of the best - if not THE BEST - method of water treatment is using a Colloidal Silver. I do it since long time now, and it serves me very well. Visit this link to see how you can make cheaply your own, cheap version of a Colloidal Silver Generator, or you can buy one for about $A 250. I got one and I"m very happy with it. You will also get to know there quite a few interesting things, you may be didn't know before. :) The link is: https://www.colloidalsilver.com.au