Tengraph geology mosaic interpretation help

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shakergt

Moderating Team
Reaction score
Is there a guide or anything that is available to help read these maps? What do all the letters stand for etc? For example CZL, AB, ABS and so on. I have no trouble reading topo maps and your basic maps but the geo maps are giving me some trouble as I can not interpret them as easy and I am sick of asking all the time

The picture is for reference as to what I mean
1570800629_img_0993.jpg

It would be great if they did a downloadable legend fir it. Would make things a bit easier to understand

Starting with A are various types of Archean (the oldest) rocks. I'm guessing but I would think an s means sedimentary, u means ultramafic, b might be basalt (metabasalt). You would mostly expect gold "reefs" in b rather than s but ithey could be in any A
Starting with P would be Proterozoic and dy would be a dyke - no good for gold
Starting with Cz are fairly young sedimentary rocks (Cenozoic), which include laterite l and probably calcrete c. The laterite can be excellent for ironstone gold, calcrete is useless
Starting with Q would be the youngest of all, Quaternary, and a would be alluvium (the sand and gravel and clay of present-day creeks). Might have some alluvial gold but mostly poor for detecting.

All from memory, but that sort of terminology is fairly common. Hope that helps a bit

The Legend key is attached to the 100k paper geo sheet that this is derived from.Menzies 3138.

it's not true geo data,but a paper map georeferenced.

1570888273_menzies.jpg