❓Your Mineral Identification Questions answered here

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see diamond but I do see topaz and zircon for a first up guess, as part of the process of elimination. From top to bottom #s 3, 4 & 5 - topaz, topaz, zircon. 6 looks interesting as a carving stone. If there is a feather-like crack or inclusion that reaches into the stone, by as much as 1/2 to 1 mm, is a fair indication of topaz that has had a fracture occur along the crystal axis after a collision. Zircon will crack along the length of, into and through the stone or show colloidal fracturing, like windscreen cracking and so will quartz, that is when you go to the next determinates in the exciting world of "Name that Stone".
Do a search on goldierocks name for his determinates to identify your finds. One of the most helpful is the scratch test and then the density equation.

Yeah i understand the liklyhood of 1.2 carat diamonds a stretch for a first week fossiker. Just seemed differnt to all others, im reasonably sure it isnt topaz as cold lip touch is not as cold as a piece i have that im sure is topaz. Not sure if a better photo would help but was just seeing best guess as im short on funds to id.
Zircons would still be nice to find a buyer for.

Pat hogan, im unsure if you see a feather crack in stone 6 which is only the fifth (first picture is a double up) or just exampling a possible sernario it would be intresting. Ill look at it better tonight.

Mouse77 said:
Pat hogan, im unsure if you see a feather crack in stone 6 which is only the fifth (first picture is a double up) or just exampling a possible sernario it would be intresting. Ill look at it better tonight.

Yeah, I didn't see one either, just saying that it is an indicator to look for when determining topaz at first sight.

Edit: btw 'colloidal' should be the word conchoidal in my previous post. I can feel the hot breath of the central scerrutiniser down my neck.

Hi all, been working my way through a few rocks that Ive acquired along the way but this one has me stumped the black and green minerals are what Im interested in. The green has a waxy sort of feel to it and is very dull. The black is a bit shiny but really soft. My best guess is graphite?
1578442648_809a3694-c9bf-465c-a93e-9f0606938266.jpg
1578442683_7492c69b-7170-482f-a5e7-19bc0e3b21c7.jpg

1578443823_1b2fc5b5-8c88-40be-8b20-af83707b3915.jpg

1578443823_0f9505e1-26f7-4d83-b67a-7f0adc31225e.jpg

1578443823_0a921880-cb18-46d7-b0e3-6b9883efd111.jpg

I'd like to see what answers you get Wentywildman, as I found a chunk of the green waxy-feel stuff myself only last weekend. I assumed it was desiccated animal vomit or some other gross organic matter rather than a rock, so I just left it where I found it. It was hard and weird though, and I found I could mark it fairly easily with my thumbnail.

The shape suggests a water worn fluorite octahedron, is there any hint of purple if you sit it on a torch light lens or hold it up to the sun?

Hi Flowerpot, no trace of purple under light. It is just a solid black when held over a light.

I just tried to run a magnet over it but no reaction. Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciate the help!

Latest posts