Newbie from Wauchope

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a 40yo with wife and 4 kids. Recently decided to take up panning as a hobby and excuse to get outdoors more. I am planning on buying some paydirt to hone my panning skills.
I recently had a muckaround in a local creek here in Wauchope and found what I hope is gold flakes, I will upload a pic soon if I can figure out how to.

Nice to meet you all.
Tal

Hi Talo and welcome to PA.

You need to make 10 posts before you can add pictures.

I hope it is gold and not that tricky pyrite that shines, but is actually fool's gold. Many have been fooled by it!

Cheers,
Megsy

Megsy, I feel that it is likely fools as theres not much talk of gold in my area, but my fingers are crossed. It's too small to do any kind of scratch test.

You can tell it's pyrite in a few ways. It's often cube or square shaped; it snaps to break; it moves freely around in the water, and is not consistently shiny when it moves (it appears to have a darker side and shiny side as it moves). Gold is always shiny, any way it moves in the pan. I always tell people, they'll know gold when they see it!! :)

Good luck!

Cheers,
Megsy

I have seen references to gold on the Hastings river just downstream from wauchope.

Latest posts