QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Reg and Matt :Y:

Red dirt here is a killer and works its way into everything, even fully sealed binoculars...work that one out.

Does anyone have experience using Nugget Finder Evo coils on the QED?
I read something elsewhere about these not performing so well on some earlier minelab models. I know nothing about the tech side, so don't know if this is relevant to the QED.

Quote from PhaseTech on another forum in comparison of the Advantage and Evo coils with minelab machines: "...The Advantage is still probably the better choice for pre-GPX units, as they don't have any of the "smooth" timings..."

Thanks Reg.

Some of the comments I have read suggested that the Evo coils were so sensitive that older machines couldn't manage the ground noise while running them.

Seems plausible this isn't a significant issue for QED's

Nugget finder coils ae exceptional on a qed>
I have,

Sadie,
17x13
15 spoke.

I am really looking forwards to having the new software installed at the bash.

I would say that the difference will be dramatic.

Nug, with your question being specifically about Evos.

I have run the NF 15 spoked Evo that was off Bullwinkles 5000 that ran beautifully on his machine and he found lots with it.

I used it for about 4 hours in an area that was gold bearing and quite variable with varying depths of hard packed pinkish clay/gravels.

This was early in my use of the QED and to be honest I did struggle a bit with ground noise but did find a few bits of lead shot and other rubbish.

Im quite sure now that with a few more months use of the QED I am aware of the settings to quieten it down and yes, it sounds like the new update would make it even better.

I do often use my own 11 Detech Ultra Sensing mono (spiral wound like the Evos) and am now digging a lot less ground noise than when I started.

Hours on the QED testing different ground and settings and undug targets is the key to getting the best out of it - just the same as any other machine.

My Sadie and 20 NF spoked Advantage also both work great but still needed some time to work out optimum ways to run them and how to configure for different ground. But they are not Evos.

Cheers, NE.

Northeast said:
Nug, with your question being specifically about Evos.

I have run the NF 15 spoked Evo that was off Bullwinkles 5000 that ran beautifully on his machine and he found lots with it.

I used it for about 4 hours in an area that was gold bearing and quite variable with varying depths of hard packed pinkish clay/gravels.

This was early in my use of the QED and to be honest I did struggle a bit with ground noise but did find a few bits of lead shot and other rubbish.

Im quite sure now that with a few more months use of the QED I am aware of the settings to quieten it down and yes, it sounds like the new update would make it even better.

I do often use my own 11 Detech Ultra Sensing mono (spiral wound like the Evos) and am now digging a lot less ground noise than when I started.

Hours on the QED testing different ground and settings and undug targets is the key to getting the best out of it - just the same as any other machine.

My Sadie and 20 NF spoked Advantage also both work great but still needed some time to work out optimum ways to run them and how to configure for different ground. But they are not Evos.

Cheers, NE.

Have you had the upgrade done yet? It will make a significant difference to your unit. Also at the time you ran mine, it could have benefited from a reset.

Thanks digs.

A 20 incher might be slightly overkill for most of my purposes. I have an 18inch on loan from another member, but it hasn't had much use yet due to size.

I am considering a 14x9 Evo that I have found second hand. Seems like a more practical walk around size. Would probably like a 17x11 as this might compliment the Sadie better (seems I am in Rocky/grassy/leafy areas mostly and concerned the Sadie spends too much time elevated above the soil for it's shallow depth to be practical?).

I probably should stick with what I've got until I actually start finding gold.... Fear of missing out seems to be a big factor in this hobby ?

Nug said:
Thanks digs.

A 20 incher might be slightly overkill for most of my purposes. I have an 18inch on loan from another member, but it hasn't had much use yet due to size.

I am considering a 14x9 Evo that I have found second hand. Seems like a more practical walk around size. Would probably like a 17x11 as this might compliment the Sadie better (seems I am in Rocky/grassy/leafy areas mostly and concerned the Sadie spends too much time elevated above the soil for it's shallow depth to be practical?).

I probably should stick with what I've got until I actually start finding gold.... Fear of missing out seems to be a big factor in this hobby ?

Sorry Nug i thought for some reason you were after a 18 which is why i was mentioning the 20

The 17x 13 was one i was considering. At this stage though i think ill will go with the likes of the NF 15 Evo.

Here are the two types of Handles.
The new configuration is the one closest.

1570585785_qed_types_of_handles.jpg

(Image supplied by Bugwhiskers, Howard,. )
Many Thanks.

I seen it over at Laanecoorie.
Upgrade is on the cards.
Very nice. :Y: :Y: :Y:
Tathradj

mbasko said:
Northeast said:
Is the ribbon cable from the under cuff control box now straight into the shaft? Looks good.

Doug will have you hanged, drawn & quartered for sharing that pic here :lol: Thanks

Yep, cable runs internally.

This is now a third option avail.

Howard has introduced to the world a new PL2 model variant. This appeared for the very first time at the bash at the weekend.
This one uses the whites tower handle, which for the first time has allowed the front control box wiring to be routed fully within the handle.
The end result is a very clean looking, very well balanced QED that was very well received by people at the bash

Whats the best way to get in touch with Howard have a couple of friends who would like to get their detectors software upgraded?
Thanks

Northeast said:
Here are the two types of Handles.
The new configuration is the one closest.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ages/2436/1570585785_qed_types_of_handles.jpg
(Image supplied by Bugwhiskers, Howard,. )
Many Thanks.

I seen it over at Laanecoorie.
Upgrade is on the cards.
Very nice. :Y: :Y: :Y:
Tathradj

Thanks Tath? for the new pic.
For me that's another great improvement there - getting the ribbon cable right out of any possible harms way.
:Y: Nice work again from Howard + team.

Just thought of something that could be useful for the qed. If you have the need to charge your batteries in the field you can recharge 2 18650 batteries via usb or 12v with the cables supplied with the garmin etrex 30x gps unit (see pic). I recal some thread talking about battery chargers for qed batteries and not much info found yet. Charging via the gps would be super safe. Plus you have the advantage of a handy very portable gps that will run on normal aa batteries also. I picked my garmin 30x up from cash converters for $100.
Regards jason

1571382536_20191018_174930.jpg