Rocks for tumbling from Samford/Dayboro QLD

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to the geology world. I am looking for an activity to do with my son, so I thought we would give rock tumbling a go.

I have read that you can collect various stones for tumbling at Redcliffe, Brisbane area. I was wondering if there would be an areas around Samford or Dayboro where I could collect any sort of rock that would be worth polishing up in a tumbling?

I have checked out a few creeks in the area and have only found some white quartz, and couple with a slight yellow or pink colour.

I would love to be able to find something that is a bit more translucent as my son is quite interested in crystals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hi I have been tumbling rocks for years you just drive around walk up creeks look for areas from rain damage along old roads pretty much every were some rocks don't look to be anything at all until they are polished I pick them up working fishing every were I go best bet is along creeks good luck

Same Answer, Different Forum... ;) ... There is quite a few of Us on several Forums. :eek: :lol: {) ... I can get you 5kg bags of good tumbling rocks for $50... You have to pay postage tho... Most of the rocks come from Inverell-Glen Innes area...

LW...

Hey LW,

Thanks for the offer. I big part of what I am trying to do is get out and about with my son, and the thrill of the hunter for little treasures. :)

Cheers
Luke

Perhaps a Father and Son week-end away, that way you can venture further to some other locations.... Good to see a young bloke with a passion and a Willing Dad to help...... :Y:

LW....

I was wondering if there are any good fossicking sites in the Esk shire, especially the creeks that feed the Wivenhoe dam? I remember finding some lovely Jasper in a gravel bed near Somerset Dam when I was a kid, but sadly, it is now under the Wivenhoe catchment.

E.T.A. It's actually the Somerset Council and not the Esk Shire (I'm showing my age).

Hi LW,

Thanks for the idea. Any suggestion on places to travel to in a weekend? As my son is only young, so I would like to keep the digging to a minimum, would like to just hiking and find nice stones to tumbling. Anything transparent would be nice.

Hi Blues63 - thanks for the suggestion I will do some research on Esk.

Cheers
Luke

Latest posts