You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Lukefly
02 January 2019 10:45 am

Hello Everyone,

I am very new to the geology world. I am looking for an activity to do with my son, so I thought we would give rock tumbling a go.

I have read that you can collect various stones for tumbling at Redcliffe, Brisbane area. I was wondering if there would be an areas around Samford or Dayboro where I could collect any sort of rock that would be worth polishing up in a tumbling?

I have checked out a few creeks in the area and have only found some white quartz, and couple with a slight yellow or pink colour.

I would love to be able to find something that is a bit more translucent as my son is quite interested in crystals.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

savage bitter
02 January 2019 01:08 pm

hi I have been tumbling rocks for years you just drive around walk up creeks look for areas from rain damage along old roads pretty much every were some rocks don't look to be anything at all until they are polished I pick them up working fishing every were I go best bet is along creeks good luck

1 user likes this post: Mungoman

LoneWolf
05 January 2019 06:22 pm

Same Answer, Different Forum... wink ... There is quite a few of Us on several Forums. yikes lol kiss ... I can get you 5kg bags of good tumbling rocks for $50... You have to pay postage tho... Most of the rocks come from Inverell-Glen Innes area...

LW...

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

Lukefly
07 January 2019 08:47 am

Hey LW,

Thanks for the offer. I big part of what I am trying to do is get out and about with my son, and the thrill of the hunter for little treasures. smile

Cheers
Luke

1 user likes this post: Muzza

LoneWolf
08 January 2019 02:13 am

Perhaps a Father and Son week-end away, that way you can venture further to some other locations.... Good to see a young bloke with a passion and a Willing Dad to help...... thumbsup

LW....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

Blues63
08 January 2019 09:24 am

I was wondering if there are any good fossicking sites in the Esk shire, especially the creeks that feed the Wivenhoe dam? I remember finding some lovely Jasper in a gravel bed near Somerset Dam when I was a kid, but sadly, it is now under the Wivenhoe catchment.

E.T.A. It's actually the Somerset Council and not the Esk Shire (I'm showing my age).

Last edited by Blues63 (08 January 2019 09:34 am)

Lukefly
09 January 2019 08:57 am

Hi LW,

Thanks for the idea. Any suggestion on places to travel to in a weekend? As my son is only young, so I would like to keep the digging to a minimum, would like to just hiking and find nice stones to tumbling. Anything transparent would be nice.

Hi Blues63 - thanks for the suggestion I will do some research on Esk.

Cheers
Luke

Smoky bandit
09 January 2019 09:01 am

All the creeks and along the river in and around Gympie will keep you busy smile

No pain No gain..

Lukefly
09 January 2019 09:33 am

Thanks Smokey, Gympie is definitely doable. What would I be looking for?

Sacrificthis
08 October 2019 09:53 pm

Found a spot I don't think has been work in daycare is researched a bit

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site