Wilko's Week Out: Detectors and Coils - Field Depth Tests.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevewilko

that's right it was me....
Reaction score
Hi,

We had a fun test of some detectors and coils whilst out last week.

Apologies about the link, I think this will work, I couldn't align the tables in this post - a word file became a nonsense in html, so I created a PDF to overcome this difficulty.

I am not a computer guru but it is surprising what you can do when you apply yourself and have a go!

I have 2 pictures that I cannot add as the file size is too big.
One is the depth of the hole - the other is a picture of the gold scratchings that came out with the camp out in beautiful weather, full moon and still.

Ahh the life! Anyway I hope it is a bit of fun and a little interesting for you all.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/8651/1568942741_detector_and_coil_in_field_depth_test_results.pdf

Great work stevewilko! I'm giving my NF 25" X DD its second run in GT ground tomorrow on the 5000. Thanks for your efforts and listing the results :Y:

Hi, the lead sinker in the hole is here via the pdf link - and the gold referred to is in the picture below.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/8651/1569023812_lead_in_hole.pdf

1569023881_bills_specs.jpg

Cheers stevewilko

stevewilko, thanks for taking the time to conduct and compile the results.

Just reinforces all that we learn along the way. Different environmental conditions, different detectors, different settings, different coils and different operators explain why gold still shows up in flogged areas.

I m no expert but I suspect that a similar weighted or shaped piece of gold as opposed to the sinkers could be heard deeper because gold is far more conductive than lead. This is apparent when a tiny piece of gold screams on the coil as opposed to lead.

Awesome work. Thank you for sharing.

I have some new settings to try out!!!!

Cheers

RS

Hi Steve, Agree, using lead ball sinkers will be great for comparison testing for a few reasons -

1) cheap n easy to get hold of
2) easy to get a wide range of sizes
3) No issues with orientation unlike coins, nails etc.

I do have one question though - What do you mean by "Smooth Round Ball Sinker 25mm@ 28.6g" ?

I have a 25mm ball sinker and it is 95g. My 14mm ball sinker is 23g.

Can you confirm dia & weight of the one you used?

thanks

Hi xloox,
Rough rule of thumb in the bush!
25 mm diameter approximately not circumference, and read 28.6 gram on my scales.
It is the depth read by the detector and coil as a shared standard for comparison in a ' for fun test '
Cheers stevewilko.
p.s. I just re - read you have a 2.4cm round lead @ 3oz? hmmm

Hi Steve, Yeah I was surprised how heavy the 25mm sinker was but I reweighed them on another set of scales & got same weights as per photos.

Def Pb not Pt :)

PS scales tared with the plastic vernier on them

1570526946_ball_sinker_14mm_23g.jpg

1570526946_ball_sinker_25mm_96g.jpg

Latest posts