You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

TAMnDEN
27 September 2019 09:52 pm

Hey there Folks.

We are new to fossicking and have just purchased an XP ORX. We were wonderin if anyone has had much luck finding gold in the South East Queensland area.

Would be great to hear from other XP ORX users and there experiences. Much appreciated.

Tambo 'n' Dennis

Ozcruiser
08 October 2019 06:47 am

Hi guys
I just brought the ORX and been using it around the back yard junk pile trying it out. It has great depth and been pulling heaps of trash on high numbers. I was a little disappointed until I found a two cents around 8 inches down it came in at 98 and had a nice high pitch sound. I quickly worked out my digging tools are worthless so this week I’m knocking up a leaf spring pick.
Once I get sorted with gear I’m off looking for some lead bullets in the surrounding ranges.

Whisp
08 October 2019 04:09 pm

TAMnDEN wrote:

Hey there Folks.

We are new to fossicking and have just purchased an XP ORX. We were wonderin if anyone has had much luck finding gold in the South East Queensland area.

Would be great to hear from other XP ORX users and there experiences. Much appreciated.

Tambo 'n' Dennis

Try and connect with Pascoe lads, they are in Qld. and I know they have an ORX. This is their YouTube channel, maybe ask them .....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrXPjq … Eow/videos

NB: This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Digger58
04 December 2019 10:49 pm

Hey Ozcruiser, what coil are you using as I am thinking of getting an ORX -- maybe.
cheers.

Ozcruiser
05 December 2019 05:12 am

Hi Digger58
I brought the 9 x 5 coil haven’t had much time to swing the ORX with the bush fires and life in general. I took it out looking for gold had a few good hits but left my plastic digging spades at home and worked out it was hopeless trying to locate gold with out them. Once everything settles down I return for another dig. neutral

Digger58
05 December 2019 01:18 pm

These fires are bad hey? The only thing they are good for is maybe making some areas accessible, but I'd rather they didn't happen at all. They need to really penalise all these arsonists that start them. I heard there were over twenty caught, one being a 19yo firefighter who lit 7 fires I believe.

The ORX seems to be a great machine, but I think it needs a few years so people can decide it's fate.

Cheers.

OrangeNugget
05 December 2019 06:53 pm

why do you want to find lead bullets?

Ded Driver
05 December 2019 08:18 pm

OrangeNugget wrote:

why do you want to find lead bullets?

.... because if he's finding lead bullets, he's doing something right, just a matter of walking over gold thumbsup

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

1 user likes this post: Digger58

Ozcruiser
05 December 2019 09:58 pm

There’s trees down everywhere not worth cutting your way in at this stage. I think most metal detectors work fine you just need to learn how to use them.
It might take a couple years but it’s the same no matter what brand you choose.
Good luck. thumbsup

Dave63
08 December 2019 12:39 am

Using an XP ORX with elliptical Coil, I just completed a trip to Durikai GPA. Found a heap of shotgun pellets, end caps of shot gun cartridges, old fence, bullets and enough hot rocks to fill a truck.

I had a lot of trouble with Hot rocks and mineralized red clay. I tried every combination of setting I could think of. Followed Clegy’s XP ORX Settings for Gold in Australia when the going gets a little tough in mineralised areas. Kept GB exact all the time. Different Freq, Sensitivity levels, Threshold. I should have followed his last bit of advice and gone to the pub.

I did find one piece of gold.8g, but this was because someone else pointed me to a target with a GPZ7000. So I dug and persisted with every hot rock and bit of clay I found in the same hole until I located the gold.

In an area where I knew there was gold, I found it impossible to reduce the ground noise down to a level where I could start deciding what was a target. There where areas where I could get the ORX stable and Quiet in between areas of mineralized ground. The quiet areas is where I found all the trash targets. The only setting I didnt try was Disc IAR. When I got home I read more and maybe a 2-3 on IAR may have helped. There is next to no advice on any forum or Youtube related to Disc IAR use on the ORX for Gold 1 or 2. Coin settings for DISC is explained a bit but the settings are different.

Anyone got any advice

1 user likes this post: Digger58

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site