You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

CreviceSucker
1 user likes this post: Wishfull

Wishfull
03 October 2019 11:55 pm

Yep there going to stop printing them. Saw that on the news just a while ago.
That's fine but if the grid goes down then where are you. Pun intended.
I think it's a bad move personally.

1996 Garret Scorpion gold stinger, Minelab SDC2300, Equanox 800, Detecnix wader Li pinpointer, home made pick, 750 mm Walco pick, understanding wife, most of the time.

4 users like this post: grubstake, RM Outback, CreviceSucker, LoneWolf

CreviceSucker
04 October 2019 12:58 am

I agree for the same reasons.

Its nice to have all the GPS toys , but how many people can even read a compass let alone a map ?

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

sand surfer
04 October 2019 09:51 am

can not agree more wishfull ,tried to buy a paper map from a racq office and the young girl had a chuckle, and asked if i owned a gps and new how to use it,and i said yes i do own a gps and i do know how to use it ,she said with sarcasim, what is the problem then ,i said the problem is, when little smart a___s's like you get lost when your gps stops working, i can use my paper map and compass to find you,supervisor sad best slap down she had heard in ages, and little miss smarty pants asked for it,but there ls the problem, no paper maps and the young have no idea how to use one,rely on electronics, that sure as hell is going to work and, no racq does not stock paper maps argh

AT PRO,1 pick ,1 pelican pick,2 shovels,sieve's,elbow grease and a back that scream's don't do it

5 users like this post: CreviceSucker, LoneWolf, RM Outback, Jaros, Mackka

LoneWolf
04 October 2019 07:53 pm

Nice 'Reply' SS... love it.. clap

Paper Maps will be around for ages yet.... What's the first thing the SES and Cops pull out when they are Searching for someone?.... A Paper Map on the Bonnet... Then they refer to a GPS to check co-ords, if available....

GPS is still a fair way off replacing Paper Maps .... You will have to order them and they will do small runs of them... Quite a few Geo places are going this way now..

'Print to Order' they call it... and yes, you will pay for that privilege of having a paper map... $25 I was quoted last year for one... So I just Downloaded it onto a USB and took it to a Architect to print out on a Plan Printer... Cost me $5...

LW....

Last edited by LoneWolf (04 October 2019 07:57 pm)

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

2 users like this post: RM Outback, navieko

sand surfer
05 October 2019 09:50 am

yes lonewolf,i will have to search the web,nothing on offer here on what i am looking for ,i have a couple of web sites to look at thumbsup

AT PRO,1 pick ,1 pelican pick,2 shovels,sieve's,elbow grease and a back that scream's don't do it

Whisp
05 October 2019 02:12 pm

NSW has the 1:25000 series of topo maps on its web site available for free download, they are a Geo Referenced PDF map and if you have Avenza maps they work perfectly.

Also I print them on my colour laser printer then trim and join together and cover with clear contact film which lets me write on them with Chinagraph pencils.

https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/etopo.html

Maybe other states do something similar

NB: This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

shakergt
12 October 2019 12:12 am

I miss not sure on this but the chart and map shop in Fremantle may continue to print maps that already in existence that you require

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site