Equinox Software Updates v2.0 v3.0

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rockdev said:
Just wondering what FE2 setting you were using, they look like they should have given you a broken signal going on the rust on them. Try experimenting with FE2 6 -9 all metal (horseshoe in) should help with identifying those rusty caps.

cheers
Thanks Rock Dev :Y: , I set up using the following (which is as smart as I am at the moment)
Factory default , then beach 1, check for interference, auto ground balance, F2 bias 2 (haven't played further with this yet and hadn't looked at this setting before), sensitivity 17 (though I do click up and down 1 or 2 if i'm unsure about a weak target.

I did also try in the all metal mode to see if I would hit multiple target types (this has worked previously for me getting the double tone e.g. 6 and 13/14). on the whole I was just getting straight 13s 14s
When switching to pinpoint the signal did got a lot more scratchy which made me suspicious,
Its highly possible the nox was doing what it was supposed to and I would have ended up digging a bunch more tops.

Next time i'll run in FE mode, and when I suspect a top i'll switch to F2 and see how its different.
Steve

Sound like your on top of it Steve, that's quite a good idea what you said about running in FE mode then cross checking with FE2 mode when on top of a suspect target :perfect: .

cheers mate

Well 2 days ago I uploaded version 2.1.12
Yesterday I took the YB to a spot I know produces and was greatly disappointed. Previously with V 1.175 I had the 800 set up in park 1 to find 21-23 just for goldies and with the big coil it was great and I could run the signal to the tip of the coil and the pinpointer would be bang on. But yesterday I could throw a $2 coin on the ground and the machine would not sense it till it was in the dead center of the coil 2" off the ground...Grrrr.
In park 2 It was better on 5mhz in bad emi areas but still very shakey on $2 coins. We only managed 2 of them and plenty of scraps of aluminium and you guessed it.... bottle tops.
In Park 1 and 2 the signal values for items changed dramatically so much so you would not believe that what was just found in Park 2 was so different a signal in Field 1-2.
So today I took it to another virgin area in front of an old shop that is still occasionally used. Using Park 2 5mhz, the $1-2 signals were that scratchy and jumpy I was ready to give up but I persevered and just dug everything and ended up with $13.52. The 50c did ring up a clear 18. The 2c a clear 22, all the $1-2s very scratcy and jumpy from 20-24.
So tonight I am deprogramming it back to the previous version where I am confident with it with clear strong signals. I have found I still have to dig bottle caps either way unless I get a CTX-3030.lol.

Frustratingly it took 8 separate goes of opening the Minelab download window before it recognised my detector this time. Back to V 1.175

goldtrapper said:
Frustratingly it took 8 separate goes of opening the Minelab download window before it recognised my detector this time. Back to V 1.175

Have you managed to get it to upgrade?

Here is what I do.

- Open the Update Utility
- Plug the USB in
- Make sure coil is connected to c/box
- Switch on detector
- Click Install on computer

I have upgraded several units now, and it works no problem

I'm pleased with the update, my 600 was very jumpy on most targets, first thing I noticed when I bought it months ago, my xterra705 seemed very stable in comparison.
Now its alot more stable on good targets, I tried it in fe2 mode and found it would false out on trashy iron signals quite well.
Still more testing to go, but personally I'm pleased with the update.

PhaseTech said:
goldtrapper said:

Have you managed to get it to upgrade?

Here is what I do.

- Open the Update Utility
- Plug the USB in
- Make sure coil is connected to c/box
- Switch on detector
- Click Install on computer

I have upgraded several units now, and it works no problem

As per the reply, I had upgraded it and now have it back to version 1.1.75. :Y:

Am very pleased with my update, I have a user profile setup with iron bios FE2@9 in park 1, its works a treat on very rusty caps and bolts, producing a warbly jumpy signal.

rockdev said:
Am very pleased with my update, I have a user profile setup with iron bios FE2@9 in park 1, its works a treat on very rusty caps and bolts, producing a warbly jumpy signal.

I'm confused with the @9 setting, unless you are in all metal mode doesn't is discriminate out 9 and below anyway ?

Pieces-Of-Eight said:
I'm confused with the @9 setting, unless you are in all metal mode doesn't is discriminate out 9 and below anyway ?

If I'm reading you right, I think where you're getting confused is mixing up iron bias and the accept/reject settings. You're right that the default program rejects IDs of 9 and below, the FE/FE2 iron bias setting changes the likelihood of a given signal to be reported as a negative ferrous ID (more bias, more likely a sketchy signal will be classed as iron). It's not really a setting that filters by the ID numbers, it comes in before the accept/reject is applied. Someone correct me if I've got that wrong....

Pieces-Of-Eight said:
rockdev said:

What Guessolgist said is spot on, Fe and Fe2 settings are filters only, and have no bearing on discriminated numbers. It does however make the VDI jump all over the shop under an iron target when using FE2 6-9 giving them a tell-tale warbly unclean signal, but once the horse shoe is engaged they then become so easy to distinguish as they now become an iron target with a grunt. I was out testing again yesterday afternoon in my yard and having the FE2 on 9 certainly makes bottle caps and rusty nails sound like iron. :D

1570141672_caps1.jpg

1570141690_caps2.jpg

Yep, I like to think of the Iron Bias setting as the "How annoying is this iron" scale. As you get more annoyed, turn it up. You knowingly might be missing the odd good target, but I think this is offset by the extra ground coverage.

I've done some playing on some partially rusted bottle caps, and on normal Iron Bias you still get a confused signal. On the new Iron Bias, some would start to chop up at a setting of 6 or 7, and 9 really sorts them out! I think on a beach where targets are generally spread apart, I would have no problems running the Fe2 very high. But come across a narrow tidal gutter where many targets have accumulated, I'd probably back it off a little.

Hi All
I updated my 800 to the new version but found it to be very jumpy and the tones different from what I'm used to. Anyone else find this? I've put my machine back to previous version as it seems more stable.

Sunny Coast Gold said:
Hi All
I updated my 800 to the new version but found it to be very jumpy and the tones different from what I'm used to. Anyone else find this? I've put my machine back to previous version as it seems more stable.

Same here.

I updated my 600 and hit the beach last week, and had a shocker. To be fair, there was a fair bit of black sand about and this may have caused the F2 to cancel some good signals. I was running on beach 1 presets with a gain of 20. After an hour I had not one bottle cap on a beach that normally has plenty. Unfortunately I had no good targets either, (not a single coin) just one matchbox car and a few shallow pull tabs.
I buried a $2 coin at 6 inches and was struggling to hit it, with a very scratchy signal. This surprised me as I normally hit goldies easily on this beach. Again it may have been the black sand. I reduced the f2 and also tried reverting to FE for a slight improvement but still not convincing.
Reverted back to 1.7.5 today but havent been back to the beach to try it out yet. Not very scientific I know, but theres nothing worse than detecting without confidence in your machine. I didnt need the backlight mod and as a beach detectorist I dont really find bottle caps a problem. A good beach scoop makes short work of them. Also, when anybody asks me how Im going, I enjoy pulling a handful of crown seals out of the finds bag, its good PR for the detecting community.
School holidays are over and there have been plenty of depositors on the beach so Ill try again during the week. If I bury a $2 and get the same response on beach1 presets then Ill know it wasnt the update causing the poor result.