What To Look For On The Goldfields (New To Prospecting)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im currently operating a loader in the Cunderdin area on a farm, pulling rocks out of the paddocks with a loader. Some are granite, quartz and ironstone. Whats the chance of any gold in this area?

henrynjoy said:
Im currently operating a loader in the Cunderdin area on a farm, pulling rocks out of the paddocks with a loader. Some are granite, quartz and ironstone. Whats the chance of any gold in this area?

There's no history of gold mining in most of the extensive WA wheatbelt area, but a couple of exploration companies have reported interesting finds out that way in recent years:
http://www.explaurum.com.au/IRM/content/default.aspx
https://smallcaps.com.au/cygnus-gold-high-grade-underexplored-wa-wheatbelt/

Quartz + ironstone shows that where you are working may have some potential.

Thanks for all the information looking forward to getting a machine and getting out there.

Hello and I am a newbie to all this I love watching how people find gold and other things I have just moved out to Boorowa NSW would anyone now where a good location would be here to find some gold and also a decent prospecting equipment for it.

Ryan27 said:
Hi Loamer
My understanding to surfacing is the gold in the area was super rich and sat close to the surface on an ancient clay layer or bedrock. The old timers basically took the lot !!! Leaving the hard layer underneath. Surfacing is the name given to this form of mining.
Surfacing was what we would more strictly call eluvial gold. Gold shed from a reef(s) and strewn downslope (or overlying the reef(s)) - at surface in the "soil". Different from alluvial gold, in which water has had a chance to concentrate the gold in gullies etc. So surfacing is working of shallow gold between the reef that sourced the gold, and the gully or stream in which the gold is first concentrated by the flow of water.

Not really to do with richness or clay layers (often on bedrock though)

Welcome to the forum Simon.

Best place to have a go from Boorowa would be Tuena, which is about an hour and a half away.

Are you interested in having a pan or using a detector?

Regards

Dr Duck.

Simon90 said:
Hello and I am a newbie to all this I love watching how people find gold and other things I have just moved out to Boorowa NSW would anyone now where a good location would be here to find some gold and also a decent prospecting equipment for it.

Great to hear Kelpie18.

There's a ton of very handy info here on P.A. if you aren't afraid of a bit of reading. It's helped us all immensely over the years. :Y:

Loamer is definitely worth his weight in gold!

Thanks, Loamer, great information, it really pleasing to see this as I am new to the prospecting game and learning stuff is so important. Keep up the great work

Great to see that this thread, started in 2013, is still helping newcomers, as it did for for, by giving a great description of the different areas within the goldfields.

Sadly "Loamer" hasn't posted in over 4 years, one can only hope he's still out there detecting rather than taking a dirt nap.

To this day still don't know "Loamer"'s true identity but like many others can only be thankful for the knowledge he's provided.

Cheers Tom

Fantastic information! I've got a week in Victoria in March coming out from Yorkshire to see my daughter. I need to get from idiot to prospector quickly and these posts are helping. I'm at idiot prospector now. Anybody know where's best to hire a detector near Logan, where I thought I might base myself?
Regards, Bladesmith.

Latest posts