Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Sparra,

Tried it on the local mullock heaps for small gold. It picks up the really small stuff but my preference is for the stock coil as it punches quite a bit deeper. Havent tried it on the beaches.

Cheers

Les

I found the stock coil struggled on small gold, probably because the bigger coil is seeing a lot of mineralized ground. When I got the 6 inch small gold really stands out and it seemed easier to use with noisy ground. The 11" will do the job but you'd want to hope no pulse inductions have been there, where as the 6inch can see gold my 4500 cant.
And I'm using it on a 600.

Hi Guys
I finally bought an Equinox today and notice there is a no USB charger in the box I am not very electronically minded. In the box it says you need a 2A@+5v i got a comsol USB wall charger which is 12w and 2.4A and with safety protection and fast charging just want to know if this charger would be safe to use on the detector

So my nox 800 is going back again for water ingress. What are your thoughts on additional waterproofing?

I'm considering filling the handle with silicone, a bead of silicone around the top thread on the headphones and coil jacks, then some heat shrink around the cables.

I know this thing is waterproof and the warranty is good, but it's annoying as hell that i can't detect this week while i wait for replacement

Sent mine away last Monday Registered post, Was supposed to arrive Thursday. Has been "Delayed" for some unknown reason :mad: :N: :mad: . Good luck getting it back in a weeks time. AusPost is blaming the wog on the delays.

Sorry but can't help on the waterproof thing

Perth Tim said:
So my nox 800 is going back again for water ingress. What are your thoughts on additional waterproofing?

I'm considering filling the handle with silicone, a bead of silicone around the top thread on the headphones and coil jacks, then some heat shrink around the cables.

I know this thing is waterproof and the warranty is good, but it's annoying as hell that i can't detect this week while i wait for replacement

Hi mate,
Curious as to the circumstances of the water ingress - and sounds like not the first time...
Are you fully submersing the unit, and if so, how deep underwater?
I thought they were meant to be waterproof? :8

cheers

ro1ex said:
Perth Tim said:

Hi mate,
Curious as to the circumstances of the water ingress - and sounds like not the first time...
Are you fully submersing the unit, and if so, how deep underwater?
I thought they were meant to be waterproof? :8

cheers

It was submerged in about 1.8m of salt water. I've done probably 100 hours in that depth with it.

I suspect although it's waterproof if you're going to just hunt in the water like i do it's going to fail eventually. Once it's out of warranty i think I'll try beefing up the seals. I think what happens is the flexing of the handle causes the battery seals to fail

As of the ones I have inspected; the battery compartment is not the main concern.

The weld/glue process that hold the top to the body is suss. Majority of leaks are in this area.

There are a number of Ingress points and the battery is the least of the concerns from what I have seen.

A: Weld/Glue of the module is main breach point

B: Speaker Membrane - Sand/gravel can rub and cause a breach

C: Side buttons - If the Gray band starts to lift around the buttons, be very aware as full access to the internals. Insect repellent and Suntan lotions seem to like to eat and cause some lifting of the band. And of course, heat and user :)

D: Battery compartment - Least of the concerns. But any water ingress, and unless you disconnect the battery ASAP; smoke will be let out.

Long story short: as it is a disposable unit = Warranty and a full replacement is needed.

While I have managed to get a couple working, they will never be water proof for many reasons.

A couple of examples.

1584669644_2020-01-22_14.43.36_small.jpg

1584669644_2020-01-22_14.44.11-1_small.jpg

1584669644_2020-01-22_16.30.19-1_small.jpg

1584669644_2020-01-22_19.21.25_small.jpg

You can see the button tab and the outer Gray rubber shroud.

1584670857_2020-03-20_12.08.51_small.jpg

The breather hole to the battery compartment - Thus water in at any point and it can travel every where.

1584670857_2020-03-20_12.09.21_small.jpg

This is the slot that is where the tongue from the top section fits. Often not glued / welded correctly. Can happen any where around the unit.

1584670857_2020-03-20_12.13.17_small.jpg

Before taking a NOX out and submersing it; I would be doing a leak test. Have done a couple and the hard part is then knowing your unit will leak. But until it leaks, you can not do any thing about it.

Leak test is simple enough but needs to be done with a little bit of care and attention.

As to a simple enhancement to the battery section, well that is worth thinking about.

There is a very basic step and that is the fix the potential for a leak via the hole in the battery cap; that is exposed to water and the external environment :)

Yep, fully exposed; but NOT.

What the specs are OR why this is done, I can only come up with guesses and or conspiracy theories.

They rely on a thin piece of enforced cardboard type material..... My only guess, is that it may fail under pressure and thus be an indicator that you have taken the unit deeper than 3M. All a wild guess :)

You could apply a bit of silicon and thus seal this one potential for a leak. However it is unlikely to leak or let go under normal use and IF you do not go poking around.

I use this hole in the battery end cap to attach a special fitting, to allow me to do leak testing :)

1584672493_2020-03-20_12.30.29_small.jpg

Do not get concerned re the thin plastic as that is just the cover off the foam backing that is stuck to the battery.

1584672493_2020-03-20_12.30.45_small.jpg

Thanks that was very informative.
I assumed it was the battery compartment as i only saw water run under the screen when i tipped the control box upside down.
Agreed it's a consumable item, i wish it wasn't but then i guess the price would be higher.

Do you think the coil/headphone jacks can let water in?

What do you think about making a gopro style super suit for it?

Perth Tim said:
Thanks that was very informative.
I assumed it was the battery compartment as i only saw water run under the screen when i tipped the control box upside down.
Agreed it's a consumable item, i wish it wasn't but then i guess the price would be higher.

Do you think the coil/headphone jacks can let water in?

What do you think about making a gopro style super suit for it?

If holding it up, then any water runs into the battery compartment. Only after you put it down and what water that is there, then gets to move around. Once into the screen area, surface tension etc will keep some of it there.

Coil and Headphone points are well sealed. 110% better than the points I mentioned.

Go Pro case... There are a couple out there that people have made. But can not make a silk purse out of a sows ear :)

But just get a better machine, a few out there rated at 5M and 110% better performance and can be serviced.

Feral said:
Sent mine away last Monday Registered post, Was supposed to arrive Thursday. Has been "Delayed" for some unknown reason :mad: :N: :mad: . Good luck getting it back in a weeks time. AusPost is blaming the wog on the delays.

Sorry but can't help on the waterproof thing

I just got a message saying they are awating parts. I might need to buy a backup.

Whats spare parts got to do with it. Dunno how much water was in yours but from what dripped out of mine and what was still in there it's replacement. Where the battery is housed started getting hot so it spent the night in the oven. Reckoned it was the safest place for it if the battery went Boom. New head unit is the only thing the can do

As soon as you get water in the NOX; remove the battery ASAP. Only take a min or two.

Li Iron and shorts is not a good thing.

Feral said:
Whats spare parts got to do with it. Dunno how much water was in yours but from what dripped out of mine and what was still in there it's replacement. Where the battery is housed started getting hot so it spent the night in the oven. Reckoned it was the safest place for it if the battery went Boom. New head unit is the only thing the can do
I think its minelab code for a new control box.

Latest posts