Little opal carving

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This little Ridge opal is for a client in Sydney I have done a few pieces for recently, this one is turning out very good, more a free form with some pattern carved to show the color depth, finding this grade to carve is very hard now.
1569054430_opalseam.jpg
1569054470_opalwing2.jpg
1569054628_opalwing1.jpg
1569054706_opal1200.jpg

Hi mick&marg. I love what you did with that piece. It already has a lot of colour but those contours must have it picking up light from every any angle.
I was just wondering if you could share what tools and techniques you used to carve your design. I have shaped this opal and exposed the main colour bar as best I can but down the left hand side is a dull area that has another colour bar beneath it. I was considering carving a small step along that side to expose it but Im not quite sure how to proceed.
Cheers Martyz
1569096642_f08cce2f-bc4c-41c1-999c-cc2a1b405f32.jpg

I use either a plated or sintered diamond point at around 15000 rpm in water or with a spray or drip system on the hand piece, hand sand with either diamond or silicon carbide wet. hope this helps, be careful as you may chip the opal, practice on some low grade stone before you try for real.

Thanks mick&marg. I think that exposing the lower band down the side of my stone will make the most of the available colour. Unfortunately I dont have any practice opal but I think that if Im careful itll work.
Thanks for the tips. :Y:

Latest posts