TDI pro oz. threshold Question.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. All. Was reading a post somewhere re running with just off threshold tone. Walnliz I think it was. Just gave it a try today but even with threshold fully off still get tiny warbles. Don't seem to be able to have no sound at all. Just wondering if anyone knows if this is normal for a pro oz. Other than that its working just fine. :argh:

The Tdi Pro has an unsteady threshold, notorious for it. I run with the threshold off when on the beach, with a gromit under the knob so it only moves when I want it to. When prospecting I run with a threshold, due to mineralization and the ground noises which go with it. If you are just at the point of no threshold then ground noises will intrude, as will targets. My experience in hot ground run with a threshold, silent when on the beach. You can prospect without the threshold, just turn it down a bit further and to compensate, up the gain a bit. Combine this with a slightly positive ground balance and run in LOW conductivity. All depends on the ground really. When starting out it is sometimes a good idea to use a test nugget and 'play' with the settings to see how the machine behaves in different settings. I gave myself a few days on the goldfields where the only objective was to 'play' and learn the machine, finding gold was secondary. As experience builds you will find more and have more fun doing it..
The Pro is all about warbles and that has some benefits, you can also push the threshold higher past the warbles and use the volume control to make it tolerable, headphones will alert you to any small changes signalling a target, goes back to taking some time to experiment and see what works best in your location and suits your style of detecting.
Again all the best, Karelian.

Yes. I see what you mean. I actually turned the machine on in the house last night and was able to turn the threshold down to quiet. So twas prob the ground I was on I'm thinking. Targets pop out above the warbles anyway so don't think I'm gonna miss much. I'm loving the TDI. Love the analog controls. Much nicer to use than menu driven buttons and looking at screens all the time. I'm using a Detech 15x10 open mono. It seems to be a good choice. Seems to be better than the stock coil. Nice bright responses and very sensitive on the front edge. Thanks for your help Karelian. Much appreciated. Regards... Ronnie :D

ronniecruisin that Detech 15 x 10 is an excellent coil on the Tdi Pro. Given its size, surprisingly light and sensitive whilst also balancing very nicely. Seems to be very popular and for good reason. I like the Detech on the Tdi Pro and the Jimmy Sierra 14 x 8 made by Miner John on the Tdi SL.
1568795009_1489357757_large3.jpg
1568795025_1489362139_detech.jpg

I often like to go with the larger coils because ground coverage is important, perhaps sacrificing some small gold performance but gaining depth on larger targets.
In my experience the Detech 15 x 10 mono delivers, really like it a lot and on the Tdi Pro it seems to work very well.
All the best, Karelian.

Yes. I'm finding it an excellent coil. Not really interested in sdc size gold. Prefer the coverage of the 15x10. Regards... Ronnie. :)

Latest posts