Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a 12 evo on my 4500 in the GT
vol limit 18
tune 90-100
motiom slow
rx9
audio norm
stab 9
signal 18
target vol 12
Responce i like INV TRY IT IF YOU DO NOT LIKE GO TO NORMAL
track med
switches
coil rx M
GROUND BAL FIXED
ENHANCED
IF YOU ARE NEW TO DETECTING USE G
GIVE IT A GO REGARDS JOHN

I run my 4500 with the 12 in with great results set up almost identical to Old Hand.
Very good for small gold and handles the hot rocks well. Just remember Low and Slow and a nice stable threshold, ground balance often.
Below is proof,,, latest from Rushworth 0.66g
1568589882_image.jpg

Best of luck!
Diablo

The rx GAIN amplifies the return signal, so basically it turns up what you can hear, the good and bad noises. The stabilizer smooths out the signal, so if it seems a bit jittery you can turn it down (turning that stab down actually increases its effect on smoothing). Smoothing the signal out makes it better to listen to but it also smoothes out the small signals and gives you less feedback.
It's basically a balancing act with more than one way to do it, you want the most amount of noise you can handle from the detector. You could run high gain then really low stab to keep it smooth, or low gain with very little stab and this will also work as you dont have a lot of gain but then you're not filtering out much with the stabilizer either. Mine seem to end up with both on about the same numbers as this is the easiest and makes sense to keep it simple.
Chuck some lead in a hole and try the high gain/low stab vs low gain/high stab then, there are many different ways to achieve the same result, so none of them are wrong.

Depends on the area your in but practice and practice. Buy a small nugget or nuggetlets and test. Different depths. I was about to set up a testing ground at Karara Qld before I left but never got there

Hi Kenlily18

Jarrod84 explained very well. Dignit and Ward69 also made valid points. I would suggest that factory settings are a good starting point. Try using them for a few outings (if they allow the machine to run smoothly) Get used to the sounds that the machine makes and find out why changes to sounds are occurring. (Eg dig that loud, sharp signal. If its a piece of rusty steel, remember that sound. If its a lower inconsistent sound, find out whats causing it. Maybe its mineralised ground. Etc, etc) After a few trips out, start playing with a couple of settings. (Mainly Rd gain and Stabilizer) Leave everything else on factory. Experiment on planted or real targets. For example, if you come across a nice sweet sounding signal that is only just audible, adjust you gain and stabilizer and play with the settings before you dig the target. Build up just a little bit of knowledge and confidence by playing. You will start to notice some things that work for you in a particular area. Try somewhere else and you may find that those settings need to be changed as the ground is different. After a while you will then begin to adjust some of the other settings to fine tune the machine to what feels right for you. Your original question was answered well by Jarrod84. I can give you a good example to support what he was saying. I tend to run a high Rx gain and then adjust my stabilizer to give a smooth threshold. This normally means that the stabilizer is below the gain by one or more notches. However, when running a signal enhancer, (SP01) I lower the RX gain (About 7 to 9 depending on ground) and raise my stabilizer to about 17 (gpx5000) The volume on the enhancer is then turned up to amplify the signal. Threshold is turned down slightly. I find this setting works well on faint signals. Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Les

Thanks , Lesgold. Well explained. I`ll try to remember what you have just said for when i go out next with the `45.

We have a lot to learn , Kenlily18 . After a while it should be easy to operate and know what you are listening for.

FOZ

Lesgold
Interesting settings when running a signal enhancer, (SP01). Lower the RX gain (About 7 to 9 depending on ground) and raise my stabilizer to about 17 (gpx5000) The volume on the enhancer is then turned up to amplify the signal. Threshold is turned down slightly.

Ill have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

I am still trying to get the balance right with all my settings and wondered what the general feeling is on using autotune compared to manual tune.

Is it best to use autotune and what is the highest number it should go to out in the field ? I used autotune on sunday and it peaked at 173. Is that too high ?

I got something similar the week before. I read from others that somewhere in the 90 to 120 region is best, so i have gone between using the autotune and manually setting it to around 90 or 100 with the RX gain on 10 to 12 and the Stab on 8 to 10 . I use Fixed ,but have also tried tracking.I have been trying different settings ,but the planes and motorbikes have been giving me hell the last 2 weeks. So, i have been trying to get the detector stable and quiet and consistant ,but can`t quiet get it right. Currently it is running in fixed /enhanced/Rx on 12 and Stab on 10 . Is this any good or way out of kilter ?

Thanks,

FOZ

With the Tune, your main goal is to get the detector as stable as possible. Don't worry too much about the number.

At the start of a session or if moving to a new area, I always do an Auto Tune. That gets you in the right zone without manually going through all the numbers. After that I just tweak it manually. I leave the menu setting on manual tune so at any point I can lean around and tweak it without looking at the screen.

If you find you are constantly trying to get a smoother number, your settings may need to be toned down - Very Slow motion and lower Gain. If you are using a flat/spiral wound coil, generally speaking an Rx of 12 is quite high for the 4500, drop it down and the detector will settle.

Hope that helps,

Nenad

Hi Dignit

Cant make any guarantees for all areas but it works well for me in the country that Im covering. Id be interested to see what happens in highly mineralised ground. My guess is that you may have to do a fair bit of playing to get the machine to behave. But then again, thats the reality of this pastime. We try to get the toys to do what we want by turning the knobs........

Cheers

Les

PhaseTech said:
With the Tune, your main goal is to get the detector as stable as possible. Don't worry too much about the number.

At the start of a session or if moving to a new area, I always do an Auto Tune. That gets you in the right zone without manually going through all the numbers. After that I just tweak it manually. I leave the menu setting on manual tune so at any point I can lean around and tweak it without looking at the screen.

If you find you are constantly trying to get a smoother number, your settings may need to be toned down - Very Slow motion and lower Gain. If you are using a flat/spiral wound coil, generally speaking an Rx of 12 is quite high for the 4500, drop it down and the detector will settle.

Hope that helps,

Nenad

Thanks, Nenad.

I`ll take all that on board and give it a go.

FOZ

Leroy said:
Nenad, you quoted that rx12 is a bit high for the 45 with flat wound. What do you suggest for the 5000 with the 12evo?

Start on 11 and adjust up or down as required depending on conditions. Ground conditions and emi levels vary a lot between locations and also day to day.

hi,does anyone know when the updated 4500s came out.i bought one second hand it was bought new in march 2018

Latest posts