From Iceland to Australia

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello one and all!

I am a 38 year old man wanting to start a new life gold prospecting in Australia.

The only problem I foresee is obtaining a visa. I am a fast,dedicated, trusted worker and I was wondering if any of you fine folkes need a trainee?

Please feel free to message me your thoughts.

Many thanks and I hope to join your community soon!

Brad Houldcroft

Are you looking to immigrate or holiday?
No need for a working visa if holidaying.
Gold prospecting in Australia is largely seen now as a hobby & the vast majority of people on this forum are hobbyists.
There are a few small scale miners & fulltime prospectors on here but there would be a fair bit of red tape involved with a working visa, insurances etc.
You can easily travel here on a holiday & be able to arrange some gold prospecting/fossicking either with a tour group or as a meet up with someone local to the area/s you'll be visiting.

hi BradJ & welcome to the PA Forum.
coming from Iceland you might want to land in OZ in our winter to get a chance to acclimatise (If you are staying a while)
Going to the South East of OZ wont be so bad, but you probably wouldnt want to land in Western Australia's goldfields in summer.

Thank you so much for the replies!

I am currently selling my house and plan to start a whole new life in Australia.

I have family in Adelaide where I will be based and hope to make gold prospecting my life.

As for acclimatisation, I am aware of the crazy weather as the complete opposite from Iceland but I feel in a few months I will adapt.

The visa is the problem so I was looking to begin by working/training with maybe one or two others until such a time as my permanent visa can be processed.

Thank you again for the advice! I will gladly accept more!

Brad :)

BradJ you should be aware our authorities take a very dim view of people working on a holiday visa. It could get you deported & banned from re-entry for several years.
If you want to work you would need a 'work visa', &/or discuss immigration with your nearest immigration department/consulate or whoever handles that. Would hate for you to have a bad experience here & get kicked out.
You can go prospecting for gold, but you cant take paid employment.
Sounds like you need to do more research on immigration options

Thank you Ded!

I was looking at the four year visa with the possibility of converting to permanent resident after that but although I will have enough money to start a new life, I would need a job to go to in order for the work visa to apply.

I want to do this right so I can stay in Australia.

Thank you again!

Latest posts