Scales to weigh your gold - advice please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make a simple beam balance and use coins if you are just after a rough idea

Australian Coin Weights
1 Cent - 2.6g
2 Cent - 5.2g
5 Cents - 2.83g
10 Cents - 5.65g
20 Cents - 11.3
Old 50 Cent - 13.28g
New 50 Cents - 15.55g
1 Dollar - 9g
2 Dollar - 6.60g

31.1035g = 1troy ounce

Notice that two 50 cent coins are one oz troy (near enough)

I use my Hornady electronic reloading scales. Works a treat.
Try and find someone who does ammunition reloading and who have upgraded from the electronic scales that came with the kit. Might find a bargain.

Got a few quetions but dont have a heap of info to answer them but heres what i know,
I simply just googled 3 decimal scales or even jewelry scales,
Mine would only have been 40 to 60 dollars and have also bought a set for a mate, been using them for a few years now.
Great things nice and accurate.
Will measure down to 0.001 grams
1583656965_20200308_155956.jpg

1583656996_20200308_160115.jpg
1583657034_dsc_0045.jpg

Is the accuracy dependent on the capacity i.e. 10g/.001g, 20g/.002g and 50g/,005g?

Jon

I had those exact same scales!
There great. Mine died.
And the re-calbration weight is very handy. And too double check.
Liked the dish that comes with it too
:perfect:

I got a calibrated set that measure down to 0.001g or 0.0001oz,

I like using them but as with anything that fine A Gust of wind and you have to wait until they settle down again, they even pick up when you breath, Fine weighing scales like the ones above are best used when you are back in camp or you will have a devil of a job weighing any thing, :(

I know my scales at 0.1 of a gram are susceptible to wind and breath as well so I hate to think what .001g scales would be like to use. LOL

i brought a set with hard cover i got them from Geelong mob ' lucky strike ' they don't get a real lot of use just got to find more gold :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :p :p

Mine go to two decimal places .00 and I see no need to go to three decimal places .000

Even if selling or buying a bit of gold I reckon two decimal places is close enough, you do realize that .001 is equal to $0.08 or 8 cents at the current gold price. :playful:

But hey if I see a 5 cent laying on the ground I will bend down and pick it up :p

cheers dave

I think the three decimal places make the two decimal places feel more reliable (accurate).

Probably isn't but for some maybe?

If I was a buyer AF especially online you would be my go-to guy just for the satisfaction of that extra care. :Y:

Hi all.
Could someone please recommend a set of scales from fleabay that are of defect quality? Sub $50 preferably.
Hoping to not buy twice 🤔
Tia!

Latest posts