Planning a 3 week Trip

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys

Im in the planning stage of a 3 week trip to Victoria in September next year to find some gold, what would be some of your must do places, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Gday HS11. Depends what location you are thinking about. Big place Research and research is the first place and then find a local PA member for advice on camping etc.

Welcome to PA Hacksaw11.

Detecting? Panning? How do you intend to find it?

Make sure you have a Miner's Right before you go to Victoria and read the 'earth resources' website for places you can and can't prospect (eg. banned waterways and parks).

There is some research involved in prospecting before you head to a new state, so you don't get yourself into trouble.

The earth resources website and the Parks Victoria website will give you areas where you can prospect too.

It just depends on what you'll do for accommodation, on where you'll go. Camping? Caravan? Hotels? Vehicle type?

Also a lot of tracks are closed between April and Melbourne Cup weekend, restricting access to some areas too. Research is your friend. :)

Best of luck.

Regards,
Megsy

Ok thanks i will be doing a lot of research, i have a detector, high banker and river sluice a 4wd and off road camper trailer, the more isolated the better.

Cheers

NE Victoria up in the mountains. Pick your place carefully, some ares very rugged and remote and it will be fire season soon. Make sure its a place with two ways in and out.

Give me a yell closer to September next year if you're still planning the trip .
Can show you a few places on the weekends , or point you in the direction :Y:

There are plenty of areas all over the NE, but you will have research for the kind of gold you are after and suits your ability and equipment. I work mainly around Beechworth and Yackandandah but they are not really remote, although its not hard to find isolated spots. I would have a go on the Buckland as a first start. good river for sluicing and gold can be quite coarse if you find the right spot. If you have an SDC 2300 you could detect that size stuff under water.

Latest posts