Is it worth it?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jethro said:
Graphite feels greasy when rubbed between fingers. Very soft and will form a silvery grey scum on top of the water in your pan if your ore contains it. It is a form of carbon so it cause gold to drop out in a lode. I found some near Tallandoon.
When I crushed and panned a sample from there it formed a grey bubbly scum to...so that's what that was, it looked like galena in the sample before I crushed it..

jethro said:
Graphite feels greasy when rubbed between fingers. Very soft and will form a silvery grey scum on top of the water in your pan if your ore contains it. It is a form of carbon so it cause gold to drop out in a lode. I found some near Tallandoon.
Have you come across this up there yet?
1568886764_10321013_537789449663126_661843208526423941_o.jpg

No I haven't seen that old stope yet. I was about halfway between Eskdale & Tallandoon near the paddock that Wilsons Creek runs through.

jethro said:
No I haven't seen that old stope yet. I was about halfway between Eskdale & Tallandoon near the paddock that Wilsons Creek runs through.
I left a map of this ground on your passenger front seat.

Printed, access through a private property, my old man cut a track up from the camp hut.

I remember it now. You'll have to give me a shout out If you get down this way again. Theres a chap from Myrtleford that has mapped and researched all the mines in the eskdale / Mitta Tallandoon Sandy creek and Mt Elmo reefing fields. Very interesting and explains a lot of the name changes of mines in the area. He has uploaded a lot of his data to the Geovic mapping site. He has teamed up with Ross from up the end of the creek at eskdale. Both these blokes are part mountain goat and sambar deer. As some of the mines they have walked into are way off any know track and you know what the scrub and mountains are like. Ive been working a shallow costean up near Elmo. Its dyke hosted quartz with very little mineral it only goes about 7grams to the tonne but access very easy. :D

jethro said:
I remember it now. You'll have to give me a shout out If you get down this way again. Theres a chap from Myrtleford that has mapped and researched all the mines in the eskdale / Mitta Tallandoon Sandy creek and Mt Elmo reefing fields. Very interesting and explains a lot of the name changes of mines in the area. He has uploaded a lot of his data to the Geovic mapping site. He has teamed up with Ross from up the end of the creek at eskdale. Both these blokes are part mountain goat and sambar deer. As some of the mines they have walked into are way off any know track and you know what the scrub and mountains are like. Ive been working a shallow costean up near Elmo. Its dyke hosted quartz with very little mineral it only goes about 7grams to the tonne but access very easy. :D
Nice mate...50c per kilo

Thats a lovely Cyristal of im guessing one of the many sulphides containing iron. Im no expert but I dont think it is iron Pyrites in the true sense as its form is not cubic. It looks more rhombic. :( :argh:

jethro said:
Thats a lovely Cyristal of im guessing one of the many sulphides containing iron. Im no expert but I dont think it is iron Pyrites in the true sense as its form is not cubic. It looks more rhombic. :( :argh:
Rhombihedral cleavage is four sides all parrellel but NOT at 90 (didn't have to google that one lol)
Wierd little bit ey, what it's grown on is a pyrite cube and that's growing in molybdenite matrix in quartz lol

Latest posts