New Victorian member

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey peeps,

Nestlife here from Central Victoria, nice to meet you all. I'm new to the whole fossicking thing. I have been out once or twice a few years ago and had the time of my life. The thrill of the hunt got me Interested. But I never had the time. Now that I have changed career. I seem to have found some spare time.

What are the main elements of a detector I should take into account when buying my first.

I'm up for any advice, as I am overwhelmed with the choices out there.

Just After a good all round device really.

TIA.

Regards
Nestlife

G'day Nestlife welcome to PA if you're in Central Vic your in a good place :Y: don't settle for anything less than a PI (Pulse Induction) detector. Reasonable starting price will be up around the 2.5 to 3k mark. For ease of use a SDC2300 will find you well and truly hooked :beer:

hi and welcome, there are many choices out there and as RM mentioned the pi machine would be the best around the gt. And depending on budget will limit your purchase but ease of use and portability the sdc would give you a regret free search
There is also the gpx 4500 at around the same price point but more complicated but will give you a greater depth and choice of coils.
really depends on your budget

At the lower end you have the gold monster and equinox all of the machines about a grand and have their place. youtube provides a great place to research.
Then the next step is research and boots on the ground

Cheers
hh

Hi Nestlife, Welcome to P.A.

Central Vic is a great place to be if you're looking for gold, as there are so many places nearby to go to. The guys above have already given you some knowledgeable pointers. I bought a second hand GPX 5000 myself last year when I started out, but if I was starting over right now and looking around again I'd be looking around for run-out deals on the GPX 4500. It'll still do most of the things a 5000 will do but at a much cheaper price, especially with any clearance offers going before the model is discontinued. I'd also be checking out the QED which is supposed to be a very capable model and even cheaper still. I personally hadn't heard of it when I was starting out so I didn't even know it existed.

Deepseeker said:
Hi Nestlife, Welcome to P.A.

Central Vic is a great place to be if you're looking for gold, as there are so many places nearby to go to. The guys above have already given you some knowledgeable pointers. I bought a second hand GPX 5000 myself last year when I started out, but if I was starting over right now and looking around again I'd be looking around for run-out deals on the GPX 4500. It'll still do most of the things a 5000 will do but at a much cheaper price, especially with any clearance offers going before the model is discontinued. I'd also be checking out the QED which is supposed to be a very capable model and even cheaper still. I personally hadn't heard of it when I was starting out so I didn't even know it existed.

Good suggestion DS :Y: definitely worth looking at the QED.

Latest posts