Introduction

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow gold-diggers you can call me Tony. From the western suburbs of Melbourne. I don't discriminate I swing both ways and wash rocks evenly.

Two kids later a few white hairs and a awesome 6 pack the gold fever has returned. Currently have a minelab sd2100 and a couple of cheaper vlf machines for the minions.

Have a diy highbanker needs some minor works most visited area would be castemaine and chewton mostly due to distance .

My sd2100 operating on the camcorder batteries would love to get it converted to the 12v 7amp lead sealed batteries as I use them for work and can get pretty cheap. Any ideas on where I could get this done would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

welcome to PA Toshtony
are you aware the SD2100 is a 6V machine? a 12V battery needs a regulator to drop it down to a MAX of around 8V
The camera batteries would be around 7.6V & this is about as good as it gets, & they are half the weight of an SLA.
Most people do the opposite to what you are suggesting, & ditch the SLA.
The SLA's may be cheap, but once you have a lithium battery setup it will last a long time.

DED

Ded Driver said:
welcome to PA Toshtony
are you aware the SD2100 is a 6V machine? a 12V battery needs a regulator to drop it down to a MAX of around 8V
The camera batteries would be around 7.6V & this is about as good as it gets, & they are half the weight of an SLA.
Most people do the opposite to what you are suggesting, & ditch the SLA.
The SLA's may be cheap, but once you have a lithium battery setup it will last a long time.

DED

Thanks Dee

Yeah my setup is the 7.6v sorry for some stupid reason was thinking it was regulating 12v.

My main issue is where the battery connects the bit where battery slides into is slightly broken. So if I could get that replaced and a couple of new batteries I'll be good to go.

hey Tony, I bought a butane plastic welding torch kit from Bunnings. They cost about $100 for the 2 kits needed, but If you can find someone in your circle with a similar kit you might be able to repair it. .. On the assumption its the plastic box you need to repair, not the battery?!
ps, the avatar is Ded .. not Dee ;)

Thanks DED stupid autocorrect likes to call you Dee.

Thought I'd run out and take some photos to better explain the problem. Been in the garage a while collecting dust.
1568200903_img_20190911_211342.jpg

1568200903_img_20190911_211350.jpg

1568200904_img_20190911_211409_1.jpg

So the top right pin is slightly bent and contact with battery slips also casing is broken so it's taped together. If I can buy that whole piece from someone that would be awesome.

hey Tony, put up a post in the 'wanted to buy' column. Someone might be able to help you out.
another option, though the more expensive solution @$195, is something like the dual Lithium battery pack that Reeds Prospecting do here in the West.
http://www.reedsprospecting.com.au/shop/detail/lithium-dome-top-battery-4-pin/
I have one of these & its good. I bought an ABS case from Jaycar & trimmed it to take the pack as they only Gaffa tape it together (bit lame really). I have pics of it hiding down in the 'Today I Made' thread.
couple more posts & you will be at your 10 to send PM's

Hi Tony.

I was looking into those batteries myself recently. You can buy the docking plates very cheap from eBay. Even cheaper if you are willing to wait for snail shipping from China.
https://bit.ly/2lKOAom
There are a few different types, but if you search the battery type you currently use you should find one that works.
Same thing for the batteries, but I'd stick to a local reputable store for those as batteries from china tend to be mislabeled.

Awesome thanks The big b1 exactly the piece I wanted but wasn't sure how to search it. Yeah batteries pretty easy to find once I replace that piece will check my batteries not shore if batteries were bad as well or just that piece causing issues.

Ded Driver said:
hey Tony, put up a post in the 'wanted to buy' column. Someone might be able to help you out.
another option, though the more expensive solution @$195, is something like the dual Lithium battery pack that Reeds Prospecting do here in the West.

I have one of these & its good. I bought an ABS case from Jaycar & trimmed it to take the pack as they only Gaffa tape it together (bit lame really). I have pics of it hiding down in the 'Today I Made' thread.
couple more posts & you will be at your 10 to send PM's

Thanks Ded

The big b1 has solved my problem ordering the piece now.

I might start a new topic once it's fixed as I've got a couple of different coils and would like advice if they are better to use then the standard one that came with it.

G'day Tony welcome to PA :Y: one more post and your a member :trophy: then you can PM Goldright :D reckon the price might've changed from the post date :eek: oh well you'll know one way or the other :lol: (sounds like your opening sentence) sooner or later, all the best when you get a chance to get amongst it all.

RM Outback said:
G'day Tony welcome to PA :Y: one more post and your a member :trophy: then you can PM Goldright :D reckon the price might've changed from the post date :eek: oh well you'll know one way or the other :lol: (sounds like your opening sentence) sooner or later, all the best when you get a chance to get amongst it all.

Thanks Outback

Ding Ding Ding level 2 has now been unlocked.

Price should still be roughly the same?now that I get my 10% member loyalty card?.

Ps Fellow gold-diggers now that I have the power up to send pm and once I have mastered the use of the magical box (inbox outbox) don't be surprised if you get a message from me asking for GPS coordinates ;)

Latest posts