You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Gimp
20 February 2019 01:56 pm

Ewingar small rainforest creek fossicking. Fires burning to the north made it quite smoky.
1550631351_img_20190219_173742.jpg

24 users like this post: goody2shoes, grubstake, Trusted, MegsyB007, RM Outback, Jaros, Ded Driver, Smoky bandit, Eluvial, Poida, Rockhunter62, PJG, Heatho, LoneWolf, Mackka, kemjak57, HippyProspecting, Ilikecash, Ship of fools, Gunna, roundtuit, Goldfreak, travelergold, Billy

Jaros
20 February 2019 03:36 pm

Pleasant pic to look at. gold-nugget goldpan

F1A4M2, Exterra 705 Gold, Ace 250, Goldrat 8" Dreammat River Sluice.

2 users like this post: Gimp, Mungoman

LoneWolf
01 March 2019 02:49 pm

That 'Tabulam' Fire is still burning... No access in to fight it .... It linked with the Wallangarra fire last week... It's going to be a bit Smokey for a few weeks yet...

LW....

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

Gimp
10 March 2019 06:00 pm

Took a brush and swept the same bit of creek.1552201240_img_20190310_082224.jpg

11 users like this post: goody2shoes, Mackka, RM Outback, Rockhunter62, LoneWolf, kemjak57, Ship of fools, Gunna, Goldfreak, travelergold, Billy

LoneWolf
10 March 2019 08:14 pm

Still Smokey? I haven't heard much on the fire down there.... Always nice to see stuff out of Ewingar .... Is the Forestry camp still going? I heard they have pulled down some of the old structures... Its been awhile...

LW...

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

Gimp
10 March 2019 08:36 pm

No fires, heavy rain last week killed it. Old crappy building removed, one sleep worth hut left. Lots of folk been digging at the bridge over the Ewingar. So much gold and gems in that forest.

3 users like this post: jimnyjerry, LoneWolf, Mackka

sand surfer
11 March 2019 09:50 am

good pan gimp,i must have bought the wrong pans,mine never look like that lol thumbsup

AT PRO,1 pick ,1 pelican pick,2 shovels,sieve's,elbow grease and a back that scream's don't do it

4 users like this post: Mungoman, Gimp, LoneWolf, Gunna

LoneWolf
12 March 2019 02:09 pm

Yes there is Gimp and so much more to be discovered... Good news about that fire.... About time they did something about those rotten huts... Last time we were up there we had these native 'Rats' running over us all night... It has been awhile since I have been up there....

LW....

2 users like this post: Gimp, Mackka

Tibno
03 September 2019 10:50 am

Hi All,

Long time browser on this forum so I thought I'd setup an account, and hoping that this thread isn't completely dead.

I've been out to Ewingar SF many times, but have never really progressed past the main Ewingar creek bridge other than navigating far up stream. I have been thinking about taking a look down Rory's Road.

By chance, has anyone happened to make their way through Rory's road in recent times and if so, how was it? Is it too rugged to get a vehicle through or will I need to tear through lantana to get there?

Cheers for any info anyone can provide.

Gimp
04 September 2019 02:26 am

You can walk in from the.east or drive in to it from the west

Tibno
04 September 2019 09:21 am

Thanks Gimp. Is the track on the west side down towards Rory's as rough as the track on the east driving to the creek? Just wanting to make sure our little Subi forester will actually make the drive argh

If it's around the same level of terrain we should be right.

Cheers

Last edited by Tibno (04 September 2019 09:21 am)

Gimp
04 September 2019 10:07 am

Probably best to walk in from east, 15 mins

Tibno
04 September 2019 10:35 am

Bugger, Oh well at least it's not a massive trek.

Always a wealth of knowledge this forum, thanks for the help Gimp, much appreciated thumbsup

1 user likes this post: Gimp

Gimp
04 September 2019 12:47 pm

You will do just as well at the bridge if you dig in the right spot. If it's smokies your after, for gold Bush bash the smaller creeks and gullies.

Gimp
07 September 2019 09:35 am

Long Gully Drake is burning

1 user likes this post: LoneWolf

LoneWolf
07 September 2019 11:13 am

And it's just entered Ewingar SF.... Residents of Ewingar and surrounding areas have been told It's to late to leave... Seek shelter... Biggest fire in NSW ATM with over 14,000h burnt....

We lost 10 homes overnight here in the Gold Coast Hinterland... And more to come... hmm Water bombers everywhere...

LW...

Last edited by LoneWolf (07 September 2019 11:58 am)

2 users like this post: Gimp, Mackka

Tibno
09 September 2019 10:28 pm

This is horrible.

I can't believe how large it is and still growing, the smoke trails are visible from space now sad I hope everyone in the surrounding villages is going to be OK.

Lets hope that the wind calms down and it goes out soon.

Gimp
10 September 2019 05:27 am

Tibno wrote:

This is horrible.

I can't believe how large it is and still growing, the smoke trails are visible from space now sad I hope everyone in the surrounding villages is going to be OK.

Lets hope that the wind calms down and it goes out soon.

Yer, keep people safe, but let the forest burn, and more regularly.

2 users like this post: Tathradj, Gunna

Gimp
11 September 2019 10:57 am

Keen to see how Ewingar has been cleaned up, May even take the detector as boys tell of detectable gold back in the 80s before the Bush got overgrown.

Tibno
11 September 2019 10:31 pm

Gimp wrote:

Keen to see how Ewingar has been cleaned up, May even take the detector as boys tell of detectable gold back in the 80s before the Bush got overgrown.

Same here. I was meant to be going out the coming week camping with the missus, but not likely with the fire still going.

Thylacine
12 September 2019 04:23 pm

Bit of history, the first explorers that sailed up and down the East coast thought that Australia was a land of volcano's there was that much smoke over the land. As we know now, it was the Aborigines burning the land in front of them as they migrated from place to place. No CFS or water-bombers back then, no CSIRO or greenies saying that the fire is too hot or that it has burned too long and has to be stopped! We don't have any really old (300 years) trees in OZ, but many of our eucalyptus trees could reach this age. The first explorers that moved inland across the Great Dividing Range cut down trees for housing and kicked off the timber industry. They found some big trees but not many, no really old trees as seasonal burning at migration times killed them off and their seeds. After centuries of seasonal burning and fires caused by lighting strikes, some trees actually need a fire to set their seeds in the nutrient rich ash!

Burning by the Aborigines cleared their migratory pathways and allowed them to wander back months later and pick the green shoots that had sprouted post fire. This seasonal burning also stopped really hot, intense fires that we have seen in the last few decades from starting as the mass of underbrush and forest floor litter was kept to a minimum.

Big hot fires destroy plants, animals, homes and people, however, the smaller fires clear the way for regrowth and do more good than harm. Smaller fires move slowly allowing animals that can, to run ahead or to the sides of the fire, those that can climb stay above the flames and others burrow staying out of danger.

2 users like this post: RM Outback, Gimp

Gimp
12 September 2019 06:07 pm

Thylacine wrote:

Bit of history, the first explorers that sailed up and down the East coast thought that Australia was a land of volcano's there was that much smoke over the land. As we know now, it was the Aborigines burning the land in front of them as they migrated from place to place. No CFS or water-bombers back then, no CSIRO or greenies saying that the fire is too hot or that it has burned too long and has to be stopped! We don't have any really old (300 years) trees in OZ, but many of our eucalyptus trees could reach this age. The first explorers that moved inland across the Great Dividing Range cut down trees for housing and kicked off the timber industry. They found some big trees but not many, no really old trees as seasonal burning at migration times killed them off and their seeds. After centuries of seasonal burning and fires caused by lighting strikes, some trees actually need a fire to set their seeds in the nutrient rich ash!

Burning by the Aborigines cleared their migratory pathways and allowed them to wander back months later and pick the green shoots that had sprouted post fire. This seasonal burning also stopped really hot, intense fires that we have seen in the last few decades from starting as the mass of underbrush and forest floor litter was kept to a minimum.

Big hot fires destroy plants, animals, homes and people, however, the smaller fires clear the way for regrowth and do more good than harm. Smaller fires move slowly allowing animals that can, to run ahead or to the sides of the fire, those that can climb stay above the flames and others burrow staying out of danger.

Amen

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site