Is it worth it?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1568114674_5.jpg

It's not the best pic but to me it looks like the gold is inside this rusty fluid.

Back in your post #7, there is, on the left side, a pocket of Smokey Quartz? Crystals with some plain and clear Crystal pockets scattered around the Pic... Could it be part of them?
..... Do you know what will scratch it? My guess if it's hard= Smokey Quartz.... Soft surrounding Crystals ?= maybe Calcite?

Or is it Metallic Looking? ....... Hard to tell in the pic... A view of a torch or something shining through the back of it can help with a better ID....
PM sent... ;) Im really not sure... :)

LW....

Its hard to make out in the shots, Ive got to admit- the last shot looks like chalcopyrite to me.( the gold coloured stuff) Given how oxydized the vein is, and those other minerals look like arsenopyrite( the grey stuff),the black mineral could be anything at this stage but Id guess a silver ore, theitd have to have sulphides present. Doesnt mean theres no gold, quite the opposite. If the little particles shatter like quartz when crushed- its a sulphide mineral. If it flattens its gold.

DykeHead said:
Are you wanting a name for the black material? I can't see any gold in the pic.
Gold isn't the interest in this specimen, the shiny mirror like black material is.
Have a crack?
It's really brittle..

Jeff said:
Its hard to make out in the shots, Ive got to admit- the last shot looks like chalcopyrite to me.( the gold coloured stuff) Given how oxydized the vein is, and those other minerals look like arsenopyrite( the grey stuff),the black mineral could be anything at this stage but Id guess a silver ore, theitd have to have sulphides present. Doesnt mean theres no gold, quite the opposite. If the little particles shatter like quartz when crushed- its a sulphide mineral. If it flattens its gold.

Hi Jeff, post #41 is definitely gold I know chalcopyrite can look very similar.

LoneWolf said:
Back in your post #7, there is, on the left side, a pocket of Smokey Quartz? Crystals with some plain and clear Crystal pockets scattered around the Pic... Could it be part of them?
..... Do you know what will scratch it? My guess if it's hard= Smokey Quartz.... Soft surrounding Crystals ?= maybe Calcite?

Or is it Metallic Looking? ....... Hard to tell in the pic... A view of a torch or something shining through the back of it can help with a better ID....
PM sent... ;) Im really not sure... :)

LW....
Uglyest crystals in the world I reckon lol
Clean or crush? Lol
1568202034_img_20190911_195951.jpg

1568202079_img_20190911_200349.jpg

LoneWolf said:
Molybdenite? ... Galena?...

LW....
Mineral I'd pics on geology.com..
Galena or graphite I reckon.
Leaning towards graphite because of the description and I use to have galena specimens (lost them) and it looked different..

Yes they formed in a not too nice environment by the looks of it... :/

Lots of Molly was found around Stanthorpe.... Is your bit Heavy? Galena can take on many forms too...

LW....