Is it worth it?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Visible evidence..
1567926654_img_20190908_133832.jpg

Looks good! You need to crush some and see how much comes out. Fun stuff to play with when you have visible gold! It could be loaded with fine gold thats not visible to the naked eye.

It's great fun for sure, you have done well to find that! You could find some really rich nuggety stone with some luck.

Looks good! You need a rock crusher and crush 20kgs. Stone like that can easy go 1oz to the tonne. Do you have to haul it far to your vehicle?

Heya 20xwater

Some nice looking mineralisation there....thats enough to get my attention.
Best thing is to dolly it up- of corse anything encased will be revealed but also anything really small will be flattened and much more visible. Then just look for the slower to move particles if your colourblind.
Was the visible gold- definitely not chalcopyrite or pyrite?

Jeff said:
Heya 20xwater

Some nice looking mineralisation there....thats enough to get my attention.
Best thing is to dolly it up- of corse anything encased will be revealed but also anything really small will be flattened and much more visible. Then just look for the slower to move particles if your colourblind.
Was the visible gold- definitely not chalcopyrite or pyrite?
First sample this morning seems to have answered your question.
Pyrite looks and behaves different in the pan, a drop of dish detergent allows me to swirl off jiggle and concentrate it precisely.
My eyes see a greeny difference..
1568070813_img_20190910_090055.jpg

What is that? Is it magnetic? If not heat it up a little bit outdoors (don't breath fumes) and see if it becomes magnetic.
I'm not sure what that is from the photo.some type of sulfides. Some could be metal from what your crushing it with?

DykeHead said:
What is that? Is it magnetic? If not heat it up a little bit outdoors (don't breath fumes) and see if it becomes magnetic.
I'm not sure what that is from the photo.some type of sulfides. Some could be metal from what your crushing it with?
Bingo, didn't even think of that, the bolster I'm using is contaminating the samples, don't know what sort of metal it is but now you ask it does scratch a brassy colour...FFS I can be a unit sometimes ?

Ok, the one on the left I used this morning for the last 2 samples I uploaded. The one on the right is definitely steel which I used for the other samples. I'm Crushing in a stainless teapot that wouldn't be contaminating because it would have been in the pan with the first samples..
1568109086_img_20190910_194139.jpg

There's always something new to learn. A magnet should get it but it won't get any stainless particles.

DykeHead said:
There's always something new to learn. A magnet should get it but it won't get any stainless particles.
True, my fall back is that I did say I might learn a thing or two at the start of the thread lol

Geology.com says pyrite can contain up to 25% gold. Chemical composition of iron sulphide FeS2.
Uses...ore of gold.

Question...when exposed to oxygen and oxidised, it turns to rust and is that what the rust veins are?

Yeah I think it can even drain back down fractures like a rusty solution and possibly take eluvial gold with it I have a pic of something that resembles this happening. I could be wrong though.