'Victorian meteorite renaissance'

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good read Grubstake.
An important bit that piqued my interest was -

"Dr Mills said one of the reasons important meteorites had been found in Central Victoria was because there were so many prospectors looking for gold.

Both the Wedderburn and Maryborough meteorites were found by prospectors using metal detectors.

John Gladdis, a gold prospector originally from Maryborough, has found at least two meteorites while prospecting."

Makes you wonder how many meteorites are out there waiting to be found, in areas of Oz where people are not detecting?

Chiron52 said:
Good read Grubstake.
An important bit that piqued my interest was -
"Dr Mills said one of the reasons important meteorites had been found in Central Victoria was because there were so many prospectors looking for gold.
Both the Wedderburn and Maryborough meteorites were found by prospectors using metal detectors.
John Gladdis, a gold prospector originally from Maryborough, has found at least two meteorites while prospecting."

Makes you wonder how many meteorites are out there waiting to be found, in areas of Oz where people are not detecting?

I'd imagine there are plenty, as ironstone that looks somewhat meteoritic is pretty common in many parts of the country, so a meteorite amongst it would likely go unnoticed. On the other hand, the Nullarbor Plain has yielded a disproportionate number of meteorite finds (many hundreds according to the link below!), because the area comprises light-coloured limestone bedrock, so any dark rocks stand out clearly and may well be meteorites:

http://museum.wa.gov.au/research/co...eorite-collection/meteorites-nullarbor-region

Also:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg13017653-800-science-meteorite-bonanza-in-australian-desert/

My understanding was that in NSW and Victoria the meteorite is yours to do anything except export it without a permit. In Tasmania it belongs to the museum. You can't sell it in Queensland, South Australia or (possibly) Northern Territory. Federal law prevents any meteorites from anywhere in Australia being exported without a permit. Not much evidence of the laws being enforced though.