You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

grubstake
09 September 2019 11:18 am

And prospectors are responsible!

'Victorian meteorite renaissance' helps scientists understand the origins of life:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-09/ … s/11485924

Where it is, there it is.

4 users like this post: Deepseeker, LoneWolf, Sandta, Billy

Deepseeker
09 September 2019 12:36 pm

Great Read, thanks!

Last edited by Deepseeker (09 September 2019 12:36 pm)

Try hard not to offend. Try even harder not to be offended.

2 users like this post: grubstake, LoneWolf

LoneWolf
09 September 2019 02:13 pm

Cool read.... I would love to find a Meteorite for my Collection... Might have to fit a magnet onto Mrs Wolf's walking stick and walk the areas where they might be.. wink

LW...

Growing Old is Inevitable.... Growing Up is Optional.... Prospectors United Will Never Be Defeated

2 users like this post: Deepseeker, Billy

Chiron52
09 September 2019 08:15 pm

Good read Grubstake.
An important bit that piqued my interest was -

"Dr Mills said one of the reasons important meteorites had been found in Central Victoria was because there were so many prospectors looking for gold.

Both the Wedderburn and Maryborough meteorites were found by prospectors using metal detectors.

John Gladdis, a gold prospector originally from Maryborough, has found at least two meteorites while prospecting."

Makes you wonder how many meteorites are out there waiting to be found, in areas of Oz where people are not detecting?

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off.

1 user likes this post: Billy

grubstake
09 September 2019 08:35 pm

Chiron52 wrote:

Good read Grubstake.
An important bit that piqued my interest was -
"Dr Mills said one of the reasons important meteorites had been found in Central Victoria was because there were so many prospectors looking for gold.
Both the Wedderburn and Maryborough meteorites were found by prospectors using metal detectors.
John Gladdis, a gold prospector originally from Maryborough, has found at least two meteorites while prospecting."

Makes you wonder how many meteorites are out there waiting to be found, in areas of Oz where people are not detecting?

I'd imagine there are plenty, as ironstone that looks somewhat meteoritic is pretty common in many parts of the country, so a meteorite amongst it would likely go unnoticed. On the other hand, the Nullarbor Plain has yielded a disproportionate number of meteorite finds (many hundreds according to the link below!), because the area comprises light-coloured limestone bedrock, so any dark rocks stand out clearly and may well be meteorites:

http://museum.wa.gov.au/research/collec … bor-region

Also:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg … an-desert/

Last edited by grubstake (09 September 2019 08:36 pm)

Where it is, there it is.

3 users like this post: LoneWolf, Billy, Chiron52

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site