Pandoras Box Question? What is the best metal detector brand?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Firstly Im a total newbie to metal detecting.
However, I would like to take this up as a hobby and that the wife is a mineralogist (loves rocks) helps.

Now to the above question What is the best metal detector brand?
Here, in this forum, Minelab seems to be very prominent.

Sooo, are the Minelab detectors the best or is it all good marketing?

Are there dealers who carry other brands in or around Sydney?

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

Mecky

I wouldnt say Minelab are the best, just the most popular. Dont restrict yourself to just one brand. There are some brilliant detectors out there.

Also you need to decide what type of detecting you will be doing.

Great all round probing,

1567767947_f57d48c0-54e3-4b79-a49f-33187afb28c7.jpg

1567768046_2f3d24e6-f185-426c-b2ca-e429269b3509.jpg

Aussiedigs said:

Thanks Aussiedigs!

That is also what I don't yet :).
What I would like is a detector which is able to do everything: find some stuff on the beach, in the park etc, but is also able to find gold...
So far I'm looking at an Equinox 800 as the Minelab marketing seems to have worked on me ;)
A colleague also told me that the Garrets are too sensitive for gold (as that is what he is after)?

Cheers

Mecky

Mecky said:
Aussiedigs said:

Thanks Aussiedigs!

That is also what I don't yet :).
What I would like is a detector which is able to do everything: find some stuff on the beach, in the park etc, but is also able to find gold...
So far I'm looking at an Equinox 800 as the Minelab marketing seems to have worked on me ;)
A colleague also told me that the Garrets are too sensitive for gold (as that is what he is after)?

Cheers

Mecky

Mecky, im not up on the VLF detectors really. The nox 800 is supposed to be a very good detector. The XP (deus i think it is) is supposed to be good also.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/

coin machine gold machine,vlf,pulse induction, how much money, how much time, etc

No detector does it all. Physics demands compromise eg. Get a gpz and you can't beach hunt in the water but my equinox 800 can but it is not much chop in the gold fields.

My advice is get an equinox 800 2nd hand If decent goldfields are more than 4 hours drive from you. You'll use it in parks or beaches more often and they are great at teaching you tricks to metal detecting.
If decent goldfields are close to you and you wanted to focus on that, i reckon an sdc2300 as it can also water hunt. It's about 3 times the price of the equinox though.

Asking for a do it all detector is like asking if you can buy a spanner that fits any nut, there's limitations to it

I think the Equinox 800 is a pretty safe choice if you're just getting started and would like to detect a range of different targets/locations. I have an SDC 2300 myself but I primarily hunt for gold in the scrub, however I still find myself using it at the beach and popular swimming holes quite a bit -- and am now strongly considering getting an Equinox to add to my options as soon as I can afford one. Digging up every target can get quite tiring very quickly!

navieko said:
I think the Equinox 800 is a pretty safe choice if you're just getting started and would like to detect a range of different targets/locations. I have an SDC 2300 myself but I primarily hunt for gold in the scrub, however I still find myself using it at the beach and popular swimming holes quite a bit -- and am now strongly considering getting an Equinox to add to my options as soon as I can afford one. Digging up every target can get quite tiring very quickly!

Yep, I can tell a recent ring pull from an old one, if an area is frequented by fishermen I can pick the lead sinkers, it's that good. In a trashy area you wouldn't even consider the SDC.

Thank you All for your input!!!

I've read as much that a gold detector may not be as good as a coin detector or the other way around...

However, as I don't know what I want yet (treasure/beach or gold detecting) - I'm looking for a machine which can do both.
I also have no experience with gold hunting but my wife may be able to help with that as a mineralogist / geologist - I hope :) .
The closest gold fields are also 3-4 hours away...
So far I also identified the Equinox 800 as the closest choice (Thanks for the confirmation Navieko and Perth Tim) as the best 'compromise'.

However - it's a Minelab...
Would a Minelab be the 'best buy'?
Are there other brands/detectors to consider (e.g. XP ORX, Deus)?
Are they just as good or even better?
I usually don't buy cheap (as don't want to buy twice ;) ) but I can't afford (or justify, thanks to my financial adviser/admiral) a $4,000 purchase.
Also important is local support (i.e. a dealer who can provide advice and warranty if required).
I live in south west Sydney...

Cheers

Mecky

You could start with the Nox 800 and purchase further down the road a QED PL2 PI for $1,850 new. You then would have a great couple of detectors.

Mecky said:
Thank you All for your input!!!

I've read as much that a gold detector may not be as good as a coin detector or the other way around...

However, as I don't know what I want yet (treasure/beach or gold detecting) - I'm looking for a machine which can do both.
I also have no experience with gold hunting but my wife may be able to help with that as a mineralogist / geologist - I hope :) .
The closest gold fields are also 3-4 hours away...
So far I also identified the Equinox 800 as the closest choice (Thanks for the confirmation Navieko and Perth Tim) as the best 'compromise'.

However - it's a Minelab...
Would a Minelab be the 'best buy'?
Are there other brands/detectors to consider (e.g. XP ORX, Deus)?
Are they just as good or even better?
I usually don't buy cheap (as don't want to buy twice ;) ) but I can't afford (or justify, thanks to my financial adviser/admiral) a $4,000 purchase.
Also important is local support (i.e. a dealer who can provide advice and warranty if required).
I live in south west Sydney...

Cheers

Mecky

The nox 800 is going to struggle as a dedicated gold nugget hunter. It'll do it but it doesn't have the depth or sensitivity to the small stuff. Take a look at the topics on here about it.
The Gold Monster 1000 might be a good option, it's budget friendly at RRP $990.

navieko said:
Digging up every target can get quite tiring very quickly!

So, So true. If missing .22 lead bullets means I miss gold that size and smaller, that's fine by me. We all get our jollies in different ways.
Having said that, if they come out with a GPX5000 that folds up like an SDC I'd buy it in a flash :D

Equinox 800:
On the beach - about as good as you can get. I still rate the 3030 a little higher, but only just
In parks - very very good all-rounder
In goldfield - as long as mineralisation is not too high it can perform very well. With 6" coil and 40 kHz it is very sensitive.

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your input!

I think I'll go with the Equinox 800...
I've watched some videos today and the Equinox 800 picked up targets similar as the GM 1000.
(I agree that the location/mineralisation will play a role)

I reckon it'll do what I require and there is a Minelab dealer in Sydney.

Thanks again!!!

Cheers

Mecky

Latest posts