You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Pieces-Of-Eight
08 September 2019 02:04 pm

Apologies if this should be in the minerals section.
I've found these over the last few trip, I was left wandering if these were metal ore following some comments on a different thread I posted around disappearing targets on the beach (possibly due to a concentration of mineralisation ). Any way, the three on the right seem to be like aluminium (I put them down to tin foil that had been chucked on a beach bonfire), the others are all much more like rocks. All are very very light but there is nothing consistent with the target IDs (nox 600) except most have multiple signals (14 to 21). All are found on beaches around Swansea lakes entrance.
Steve
1567912065_20190908_124700.jpg

Last edited by Pieces-Of-Eight (08 September 2019 02:07 pm)

Sandta
08 September 2019 02:44 pm

Yep , aluminium cans melted in fire
Plenty of that high up on the beach sad

3 users like this post: Pieces-Of-Eight, goody2shoes, LoneWolf

CreviceSucker
08 September 2019 09:00 pm

Plant them in the garden under a full moon.

My Nona met a guy in a taxi once who swore they will grow into a full can of beer within a few months

2 users like this post: goody2shoes, Pieces-Of-Eight

Pieces-Of-Eight
08 September 2019 10:53 pm

The Aluminium on the right I sort of got, It was more the Hot rock / or possible ore on the left i'm confused about.

Ded Driver
08 September 2019 11:48 pm

definitely not Tin. it doesn't have the characteristic 'pyrite' fleck type of colour on the surface to be tin.
I would say they are all aluminium, melted into blobs with different porosity, hence the different ID.
It only takes a few cans & maybe some Al foil from a BBQ thrown in a camp fire to produce such blobs.
Ive found many
The Gold Monster is awesome at finding this stuff playful

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

1 user likes this post: Pieces-Of-Eight

navieko
09 September 2019 10:03 am

Perhaps worth breaking up/crushing the quartz looking rocks on the left side of the pic (not the aluminium blobs) and seeing what's inside?

I keep the gold fever at bay with the help of my SDC 2300, Walbanker (thanks Wal!), 6" Mini Highbanker, and assortment of pans, sieves & tools... plus a bucket load of persistence!

1 user likes this post: Pieces-Of-Eight

Pieces-Of-Eight
09 September 2019 07:56 pm

navieko wrote:

Perhaps worth breaking up/crushing the quartz looking rocks on the left side of the pic (not the aluminium blobs) and seeing what's inside?

Why didn't I think of that ? sad

I think Ded Driver is right, 2 of the pieces full of coke or charcoal, thanks.

The 3rd (2nd largest piece) absolutely hard as, now this is an isolated specimen (all others bonfire Ali Cans) I suspect this is a piece of hard concrete with iron oxide from reinforcing.
Many thanks for the advice and knowledge guys, I take away all my finds (as well as surface sharps from the beach) I think I'll be filing these below rusty bottle tops tongue

Thanks again,
Steve

1 user likes this post: Ded Driver

Ded Driver
09 September 2019 09:18 pm

there are also examples of concrete used on beach fronts being made for decking & panels with stainless steel 'fibre' (wire strands) instead of regular steel reinforcing. Its made in much the same way as fibreglass. But if your specimen had s/s wire fibres in it you would know, as you would see them sticking out.

APLA member, GPX4000, modded SD2100, XTerra705, GM1000, Whites MXT Pro, Nokta Pointer, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

2 users like this post: Pieces-Of-Eight, LoneWolf

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site