Sapphire Bend/ Blue Hills Quarry, Oberon NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All

Its been a bit quiet on this area for a while so was wondering how you all been going out there and do you have any stories to tell. I'm looking to head out there after a 6 months break so quite keen to get into it again before it gets too cold. Can anyone tell me if Blue Hills is open to the public as I might go for a scratch there as well. :beer: :drooling: :pickshovel:

Hey Conan

Did you get out to blue hills?
I believe it's open but failed to get there myself when I stayed at abercrombie at Easter.

I'm keen to go for a trip to blue hills and Vulcan for sapphires again (now that I know more what I'm doing and actually found a sapphire (tiny) in the material I brought home to check) maybe the first weekend in July. Just depends how the next week goes.

I'm keen to fossick (and gain some knowledge) with someone other than just my 10 year old who can get a little bored sometimes.

Let me know if you are keen for a fossick that weekend.

Let's see if we can rustle up some interest in here for a group fossicking trip hey :D :pickshovel: :gemstone:

Hi Tamelean,
Will be in that area with the family next Sunday and Monday. Going to the caves and fitting in some fossicking as well. Caught the bug at saphire bend with two tiny stones so it will be great to get back there and have another look. Had not heard of the quarry at that stage but will not miss it this time. Ya never know might see you out and about

Went out a couple of weeks ago but didnt make it to blue hills. Went for a dig at Porters with not much luck. I did notice somebody had been doing a lot of work in the river about 100 metres down from the junction on the private property side. There was still chairs and buckets, sieves still there but no people. I Bend to

I then went over to Saphire Bend but was disappointed to find 2 trees had fallen over in the big hole. It just goes to show how dangerous our hobby can be. I didnt get much this time only a few small chips for the effort. Ill have to find a better spot next time. im not sure when ill be going back there again as it was mighty cold, lucky i just missed the snow.

Hi All

With the weather heating up nicely has anyone been out lately or if not are you planning on going out there soon. Just wondering if all the snow they have had out there lately made it a bit slushy.

Hey Conan ,Im looking at going out that way on October long weekend ,
Maybe have a try along native dog creek , sapphire bend again ,and porters retreat
I was out at Easter and did go to blue hills and got some small Smokeys some on matrix nice little one ,
The top vein into the forest has been smashed hard ,but I might go for another dig , hard yakka but fun if ya get into a pocket

We're heading out that way tomorrow (Friday - the quarry. Sat - the bend. Sun - the bend or Porters)
Been planning this trip with my son for a couple of months now.
So let's check this weekends forecast for Oberon -

Friday - showers, temps 6-22
Saturday - showers, temps 2-11
Sunday - Mostly fine, temps 0-11

Crikey, bugger it, damn it, flamin hell, etc. 8.( 8.( 8.(
Oh well, raincoats and extra woolies now packed.
At least there shouldn't be any snakes to worry about. :Y:

DrDuck said:
Zero is fine for camping, even - 5 or colder is OK as long as you are prepared. Rain is generally a pain at any temperature.

Digging in the forest while it's raining is not a lot of fun DrDuck. The icy water dripping off the trees and down the back of the neck is particularly unpleasant.
Thankfully we are booked in a cabin at the local caravan park. That means hot showers :Y: :Y: :Y:

I just finished a small project off today.....then basked in the sunshine thinking it would be wonderful to head up the mountain..... but my weather app showed snow and minus signs.

Frozen fingers, crowbars and chisels .......... good luck C52, youll deserve a bucket full. I love those Smokeys :gemstone: :inlove:

StoneTheCrows said:
Hi Chiron

Can you let us know the name of the park where you are staying.

Hot showers sound good

I would be guessing the answer is in the Oberon caravan park, they have a great setup and close to town for that essential bacon and egg roll and large coffee in morning to warm you up and a stroll up to the pub for a frothy chop in the evening, mushroom sauce optional. I also give a five star rating to the bakery, they make a great chicken roll for lunch and the cakes and pastries are just how they should be.

Gilly47 said:
I like visiting the blue hill quarry, havent caught much but have seen some results and the excitement gets me.

Unfortunately i am stuck in The Gemfields qld suffering a 33 degree day

ray :lol: :lol: :sunny: :gemstone:

Me too :)
1567827842_49d5f721-ae6e-4df9-95d3-74ab0d48675e.jpg

Wally69 said:
StoneTheCrows said:
Hi Chiron

Hot showers sound good

I would be guessing the answer is in the Oberon caravan park, they have a great setup and close to town for that essential bacon and egg roll and large coffee in morning to warm you up and a stroll up to the pub for a frothy chop in the evening, mushroom sauce optional. I also give a five star rating to the bakery, they make a great chicken roll for lunch and the cakes and pastries are just how they should be.

Thanks Wally :Y:

StoneTheCrows said:
Hi Chiron

Hot showers sound good

Hi StoneTheCrows,
Jenolan Caravan Park, Oberon is where we stayed.
They have a variety of different sized cabins as well as camping and caravan sites.
It is within walking distance of shops, cafes, pubs and the RSL club.
There is also 2 motels in Oberon -
The Big Trout Motel, just on the left as you come into Oberon (from Sydney).
I have stayed here many times and would recommend it .
And the other is the Titania Motel. In a side street on your right, also as you come into Oberon
Both have restaurants.
Cheers,
Chiron.

Just returned home from Oberon (thank God).
Friday
We hit the quarry for a few hours. We didn't find much but did find a few crystal points.
There was a lot of shattered crystals about. Heavy machinery has been at work in the quarry. The quarry floor is chewed up by caterpillar treads.
For those who know the quarry .....

1. The large pile of dirt and rock that stood for many years at the head of the quarry is now gone ....

1567938199_01.jpg

2. The weather was fine but windy and a bit dusty at times.....

1567938270_02.jpg

3. We did a fair bit of digging .....

1567938311_03.jpg