Gaffneys Creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone panned Gaffneys Creek in recent times, and if so
how was it? I live in Bright but I have a mate with a holiday
house in Gaffneys, so we were wondering if it is worth doing.

I typed in Gaffney creek gold into the Google and got a far few hits. So there was gold there at one point.

I've never been there myself so can't put you onto any spots but I would think it's worth a gander

ijaxgold said:

Check out Earth Resources website for the Exempt River's list you will be amazed at how many rivers and tributaries are Exempt from prospecting :N: have you got your Miner's Right if not you can purchase one from the same website while you research the exempt list.

ijaxgold said:

Being in Bright you are home based amongst some beaut areas.

Gaffneys Creek is a beaut area. Id suss out all the tributaries in the area online and see if there are any reefs/leads associated with
those tribs. Maybe check out around Woodspoint. There are plenty of out of town potentials worth researching.

RM Outback said:
ijaxgold said:

Check out Earth Resources website for the Exempt River's list you will be amazed at how many rivers and tributaries are Exempt from prospecting :N: have you got your Miner's Right if not you can purchase one from the same website while you research the exempt list.
I know all about the exempt rivers, Im not a beginner, I was just asking about a new area (Gaffneys Creek)
The people in authority up here dont seem to care a less about exempt rivers and even the local tourism bureau
recommends panning in the Ovens and Buckland rivers!
Being honest, I can tell you I and others, pretty much ignore those ridiculous regulations.
You could put thousands of recreational prospectors along the river and they would not do 1/2 of 1% of the changes and
damage that is done every time we have a flood. Last fishing season I went to a spot that I have fished for years, a very
large pool about 50 metres long and up to 8-9 feet deep. I hadnt fished there since the last flood and was amazed to
see that the pool was gone! Water 6-10 inches deep, you could walk straight down the middle of it.
I would hate to think how many tonnes of material were moved into that one hole. I know 1 cubic metre of gravel weighs
1.68 tonnes, so do the math. Over the length of the river we are talking many, many millions of tonnes.
When it comes to such regulations, I would not trust anything that the Greens fingerprints were on.

Your kickin goals mate :lol:
1567590094_images_1.jpg

ijaxgold said:
RM Outback said:
ijaxgold said:

I know all about the exempt rivers, Im not a beginner, I was just asking about a new area (Gaffneys Creek)
The people in authority up here dont seem to care a less about exempt rivers and even the local tourism bureau
recommends panning in the Ovens and Buckland rivers!
Being honest, I can tell you I and others, pretty much ignore those ridiculous regulations.
You could put thousands of recreational prospectors along the river and they would not do 1/2 of 1% of the changes and
damage that is done every time we have a flood. Last fishing season I went to a spot that I have fished for years, a very
large pool about 50 metres long and up to 8-9 feet deep. I hadnt fished there since the last flood and was amazed to
see that the pool was gone! Water 6-10 inches deep, you could walk straight down the middle of it.
I would hate to think how many tonnes of material were moved into that one hole. I know 1 cubic metre of gravel weighs
1.68 tonnes, so do the math. Over the length of the river we are talking many, many millions of tonnes.
When it comes to such regulations, I would not trust anything that the Greens fingerprints were on.

I get what you are saying. I camp in the Buckland regularly. They get some decent rain dumps in there. One good dump can block a track. Scotchmans track was cut by a huge wash that took out about 8x8 metres of the track. Common occurence in there.

Latest posts