⭐ Alluvial Show n Tell

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HippyProspecting said:
Jazz, Sounds like you have the fever bad :Y:

Ha! Not too bad. Not finding anything at all seems to cure that fever pretty quickly. Have my fair share of that too. :p

HippyProspecting said:
Jazz, Sounds like you have the fever bad :Y:

Ha! Not too bad. Not finding anything at all seems to cure that fever pretty quickly. Have my fair share of that too. :p

Dave79 said:
Them's some pretty bits of reef gold you're finding there!

Yeah, they look pretty cool. Much nicer to look at than the usual stuff I find in the river.

Jazz said:
Found this one along with four other tiny bits, in the pan today, at my new favourite spot.

https://i.imgur.com/MRY6RYD.png

Not massive at 4mm across, but is the biggest piece I have found to date.

Was at this place for literally ten minutes in total. Just grabbed a quick bucket of dirt to have a play in the back yard again. Unfortunately no access to water where this was.

Might have to take a trailer next time - LOL :p
Great work. So rough looking. Means hasnt traveled far. Without going into details. Was it in a tailings heap.

Why Im asking. When I found a very little sub gram nuggetlet, while using the SDC, back a few months. There was no signs of any diggings, and no where near any known gold field. So I dug out a 10liter bucket around the spot and got more small gold than the size of the original nuggetlet. So it pays to read the ground more. I havent been back there. To wet to get in. This what prospecting is all about

Was from a heap. So doesn't feel as legit a find, as the old timers did all the work for me.

Got a couple of more spots on my radar, but they are a bit further from home. More of a day trip or overnighter for those ones.

I did a test yesterday, with a trommel and 6 feet of sluice, of a meter of dirt. The results are decent. I'd like some expert opinions on it, please. It will be at least a gram after removing the crap from it.
1567895937_fb_img_1567893653726.jpg

1 gram of gold to a cubic meter is pretty good.

How long did it take to process and
what type of soil. ??
Hard and rocky or loose and friable. ?

Hi Patrick,An expert would ask all the questions you probably can't answer from the little bit of information you have provided. Eg. If I found an ounce nugget in a gully with a metal detector and asked for an expert opinion on whether it would be profitable, but could give him no more information. The expert would say yes, if you can do that everyday it would be very profitable.
There doesn't look to be any fine gold.
Can you do this consistently and over what size area?
Is it alluvial or eluvial?
Who owns the land? etc.

DykeHead said:
Hi Patrick,An expert would ask all the questions you probably can't answer from the little bit of information you have provided. Eg. If I found an ounce nugget in a gully with a metal detector and asked for an expert opinion on whether it would be profitable, but could give him no more information. The expert would say yes, if you can do that everyday it would be very profitable.
There doesn't look to be any fine gold.
Can you do this consistently and over what size area?
Is it alluvial or eluvial?
Who owns the land? etc.
There's fine gold, just can't see it in the photo.
Yes, it's done consistently. The material is tailings from an old mining company. There is alot of it.The owner of the material is thinking of selling it as paydirt sold by the meter. He asked me to test it for him.

$35???...No. Maybe double that.
There are folks out there selling a meter for $150 with .25g of gold in it.

Yeah wow I never knew that. Maybe I should be mixing it with dirt before I sell it? Seems strange all these years I've been getting it out of the dirt when it's worth more in the dirt? Sounds like the new way to sell gold!!

DykeHead said:
Yeah wow I never knew that. Maybe I should be mixing it with dirt before I sell it? Seems strange all these years I've been getting it out of the dirt when it's worth more in the dirt? Sounds like the new way to sell gold!!

This sort of thing does go on. They charge you a grand for a huge bucket of dirt that is laced with $400 worth of nuggets.

Funnily enough you never see any fine gold, which pretty much confirms they are laced.

Latest posts