Redcastle Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9od

Reaction score
I've done a ton of research and been prospecting through there all the way to Whroo over the last year or more but not found anything over 0.13g. There is not very much info on alluvial from there, and I know it was fine gold, but I've seen a couple of youtube vids with 5 grammers being pulled out, so I'm wondering If I need to switch it up and try prospecting different type ground.
Appreciate anyone's knowledge about the ground around there?

Heading down there this weekend but will have to settle with the detector as I think it will be too wet for the dryblower. Have found 19 little fellas with the detector in between shovelling sessions over 2-3 days but nothing of size in either the tray or with the sdc. As Im mostly working on contoured ground I'm thinking maybe I need to get onto some flatter ground?? Although obv it would also have to be shallow enough.
At the moment I'm in around the "Why Not Gully" area and from all the places I've been through the forest I don't really recall any relatively flat spots although going by youtube and nuggets coming out its possible they exist.

Anyone by chance know this area very well?? Any advice would be awesome.

U-Tube Videos?
I would not base your expectations on U Tube videos.
How authentic is the content, how accurate is the site, general area description?
Some U Tube channel prospectors are wanting lots of likes and subscribers so try
and make their content appealing.

I have heard Redcastle is a difficult area, in my experience everywhere else is hard to difficult.

Yeah It was Vic Seekers who filmed it though which I trust as being legit.
It is a difficult area and I mostly go there to just dry wash old timers piles but there is lots of sub grammers to keep me amused with the detector and not very much junk at all compared to the other side of the forest around Rushworth and Whroo.

In general big nuggets are rare east of a north-south line just east if Bendigo to Malmsbury. Here is a map of nuggets recorded greater than 50 oz. One can expect that smaller nuggets show a similar distribution. So if you want better chances of success, keep west of that line.
1567552612_nuggets_vic.jpg

I always look at redcastle on the map, i did some reading about it a while back and the one bit that stuck was apparently only one side of the creek had gold, the best way is to just get out and give it a crack, if you find nothing youll at least have improved your digging skills ;)

Hi ALL,
any experiences with the yellow stuff at Redcastle and if so, can you point me in the right direction, keen to have a go this week and never ventured there before, any advise on a location/s would be greatly appreciated :Y:

Head out to 4 ways, and have a look around Whynot track, if you have a look on geovic youll be able to search for your own spot to work.

1641203798_img_20220103_205558.jpg

Thats 4 ways at the mid left and Whynot upper mid right. Drive up Whynot and down Welcome, plenty of ground and this is pretty central.

HippyProspecting said:
Never been there myself but if you type "redcastle gold" into Google search you will get a bunch pages that might give you a few leads

See if you can find the forgotten gully out there, youll know the report when you see it.

Only got out there once, took a couple trips and when I did finally uncover it I knew noone else had had a serious swing in a very long time. The daylight ran out and I sold my machines without returning. Once the weather settles down from the heat Id be happy to tag along as tour guide for a day trip. Figured if I ever got lost in there Id not be found for a while, some company on a return trip wouldnt go astray.

OldGT said:
HippyProspecting said:
Never been there myself but if you type "redcastle gold" into Google search you will get a bunch pages that might give you a few leads

See if you can find the forgotten gully out there, youll know the report when you see it.

Only got out there once, took a couple trips and when I did finally uncover it I knew noone else had had a serious swing in a very long time. The daylight ran out and I sold my machines without returning. Once the weather settles down from the heat Id be happy to tag along as tour guide for a day trip. Figured if I ever got lost in there Id not be found for a while, some company on a return trip wouldnt go astray.

Thanks OldGT, sent you a PM :Y:

Cheers,
Nuggy fever

Have been to Redcastle with the Bendigo Prospecting club. Have found Gold as others did. Be aware, a lot of deep workings so be careful.

I've been in the area solo, but I carry a GPS with the car position logged and a PLB in case I get hurt. :)

There is a good little surfaced area a couple hundred metres to the east of the Curly Dog dog workings where I have found a few grams of small stuff with the SDC. Most people acquainted with Redcastle would know the spot. Geovic is a good starting point

PM'd you back with location bud.
Me and family camp there sometimes. There is sooo much area to prospect in Redcastle.
OldGT has me intrigued as to the Forgotten gully though. I haven't come across any mention in all my research. Clearly I'm not looking hard enough. Now I got some reading to do

Sorry gents as luck would have it Im unable to break away from work this week or next. Better looking at work than for it, but really did want a few days off.

Getting the squeeze from above, but gets me out of doing their display (for now at least).

Cheers (and sorry). Raincheck.

Latest posts