Modified Walbanker Backyard Test Run

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is another quick video of my modified walbanker running at home.

Since last time, I have tested and now gone and purchased a Aussie Pumps QP1/GX25 1" Pump. So no more testing with the garden hose!!! The QP1/GX25 uses the Honda 4 stroke motor with an Aussie Pumps pump head. Fantastic motor, easy to start and reasonably quiet and easily puts out the water I need to run the box very low in the rev range. Along with that I've got 3m suction hose, 14m of layflat with a 1.5m piece of suction hose up to the spray bars all fitted off with aluminium camlock fittings.

I was up to all hours last night getting the legs done. An FYI for anyone looking to do something similar, sort out your leg assembly before you weld the cross bar to the bottom of the bottom box because it's bloody hard to cut the holes out for the legs once its all welded together. The legs are 25mm poly pipe, I've drilled holes so they height can be adjusted and they secure using "R" clips.

Ultimat matting, bread crate with pattern cut, and folded aluminium plate fitted to hold the mats and crate down and all in place.

I've also sorted out the spread of spray with the spray bars, now achieving a much better coverage over the grizzly bars and more water through the box.

On the still to do list is

1) Sort out a way to adjust the tilt on the hopper.

2) Source and fit a small piece of expanded mesh in front of the ultimat \ bread crate. I'm tossing up whether or not this is necessary as the field test without it showed excellent gold recovery. I'm considering installing maybe a 100mm section of expanded mesh and leaving the rest as slick plate. The jury is still out on whether I bother or not.

3) Change the currently grizzly bars out for a new set. The current bars are 10mm square aluminium rod with 10mm gaps between each bars. I'm looking getting a new set made up the same style but 3mm round stainless rod with 10mm gaps between each bar. The ally is a bit too soft and when rocks get stuck in them they tend to "bite" into the ally a bit. I'm hoping by using a much harder material this will help prevent quite so much hang up in the bars.

[video=480,360]http://youtu.be/mxCot4ltPqg[/video]

Looking good Adam.
You'll be able to move some paydirt now! No more classifying :D
Nice looking pump by the way

you might want to shorten the PVC pipe hanging out in mid air where the pump hose joins on to it

if you snap that off in the field its surprising how much swearing you can do on the drive back home.

Ag Man said:
Looking good Adam.
You'll be able to move some paydirt now! No more classifying :D
Nice looking pump by the way

haha yer, stepping it up so I can play with you big boys! pretty happy with how its all come together so far. really looking forward to getting out and putting some serious material through it! still a few bits to sort out but its done enough to run!

Adam

Reeks said:
How much throttle is the pump at in your video elbowgrease?

Its pretty low, I dunno maybe 1/3??? Its definitely under 50% I know that much cause its closer to the tortoise than the hare on the throttle sticker!

I might be being a little cautious with the throttle, its my first pump I've ever really used let alone owned, so I'm still a bit nervous about cranking it up, as I don't want to kill it. It seems to have enough water going through the bottom box over the bread crate, I field tested it on a mates 1" pump over Christmas and it looks to have the same volume (give or take) going over the crate with the throttle at that setting.

Adam

Latest posts