Mount Crawford (SA)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, just got home from going up to Mt Crawford, I didn't really find anything other than quartz - anyone got any tips on where to go and what to bring or do (shovel, etc... is that allowed...?). We kind of got lost, turns out the map they give you in the pamphlet thing is actually kind of worthless... It shows roads that aren't there, and doesn't show a LOT that are.

I went with my friend, who brought his dog, he's quite a bit less outdoorsy than I am so we ended up turning around and heading back after an hour or so. Tower Rd was closed for some commercial thing so we walked along Warren and turned onto Forties, then turned to the left towards Chalks campground at the intersection with Forties and Speck Gully Rd. Then right at the end of that and right again looping around back onto that road and heading back. I guess that's not so relevant though, and I'm rambling a bit, sorry haha!

Anyway, I want to go back, I dunno if my friend will be so keen, but yeah, any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :gemstone:

All the info on what you can and cant do is outlined in the below link. Sieving and panning should be ok as well as digging shallow holes - as long as you backfill them. https://www.forestrysa.com.au/recreation/mount-crawford-kuitpo/fossicking/

The fossicking area has existed for a long time, so don't expect outcrops brimming with gems as they have been hammered over the years. Last time I went up Sailors Gully there was still black tourmaline to be found at the top of the gully (in actual weathered bedrock), though you could try some sieves to see what has washed into the watercourses (test any of the gullies). As many of the previously popular roads now have gates, expect to do much of the fossicking by foot, I tended to rely more on the terrain features of the area to locate gullies of interest vs relying on the tracks. Some previous fossicking areas of interest are also no longer contained within the current fossicking zone, including common opal which I came across in my teens.

An interesting fact is that there used to be an emerald mine up near the Warren reservoir, unfortunately it is also now located at the bottom of the reservoir. It is probably related to the beryl crystals found amongst the pegmatite outcrops that dot the area, most were pale green to white, just not of gem quality.

Thanks for the reply Goldpick! I was kind of hesitant to leave the trails since the map they gave us was really unreliable already and I didn't want to get my friend and I lost, honestly I don't mind that much if samples aren't "pretty" - I'm studying Geology and would be thrilled to find anything other than quartz haha... I'll take a look around the gullys next time, we didn't even get that far last time :lol: Guess I'll bring a shovel and lunch next time too! :gemstone:

Latest posts