⭐ Show Us Your Cut Stones - Before And After Photos

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1566611250_195a23a4-3ccf-4097-a5e3-2069e3fc6e88.jpg

1566611251_c7e800c2-f83f-4bbf-add8-d84018a3bd2f.jpg

1566611251_5b3c25d7-0fbf-4aae-ada4-d76b5ba41a2e.jpeg

Thought I would try something a little harder. The rough blue sapphire I found was about 1ct. Due to an internal stained crack I cabbed it down to about 1/4 ct by hand using diamond plates. Just have to work on my final polish.

1566613369_5a1540aa-ffde-477e-a63e-b8f7f8d6c0df.jpg

For anyone who is trying to polish or cab stones by hand, I came across these diamond plates on eBay. I bought 7 of them graded from 150 - 3000 grit for a total of about $42 delivered. Being diamond they work on anything up to sapphire. I can achieve what would be a pretty good pre-polish, I just need to figure out how to do a finish polish and Ill be set.

Nice one Martyz

Try Some self adhesive foam matting and felt from Bunnings with 8,000 and then 50,000 diamond paste
.... or ....leather and diamond paste

Heyyy waitaminit there mateyyy. Do these work witth a Dremel? I had asked one of the suppliers years ago if they would make small grinding wheels for Dremels in an asortment of grits, they didn't at the time. Care to give me more info pretty please?

[EDIT] "plates", dumb me... want the info anyway!

Martyz said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...3369_5a1540aa-ffde-477e-a63e-b8f7f8d6c0df.jpg

For anyone who is trying to polish or cab stones by hand, I came across these diamond plates on eBay. I bought 7 of them graded from 150 - 3000 grit for a total of about $42 delivered. Being diamond they work on anything up to sapphire. I can achieve what would be a pretty good pre-polish, I just need to figure out how to do a finish polish and Ill be set.

Hi Sodabowski, I reckon that if you dopped your stone onto something you could place in the dremel chuck then operated it at low speed you could produce round cabs using these diamond plates.
Failing that you could buy some of the diamond plates and see if you could get them laser cut into small circles that could be mounted on a dremel. Then you might have a little cabbing wheel. Im just trying to use non-mechanised methods at the moment.

Just google diamond plate and get into ebay where you will find an assortment. I just thought I would trial some cheap ones first. I will get some more of the 3000 grit because polishing wears them out.

Nice job Prooz :cool:

Just as well you are heading back out, all you need now is to find an old silver crown with a bullet hole in it to use as a setting for your butterfly

Haha thanks wally, but will be concentrating on the gold! but if something like that should come up, I'll keep it!

Cheers

PS there was a very old coin found out there last week. You never know.