Went For A Swing.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for a day at the beach today at Coledale beach Wollongong,took the XTerra 705 and had a swing whilst there.A grand total of 70 cents,it's got to be the cleanest beach in Australia as I only found 4 old beaver tail can ring pull tabs as well.Does anyone on here detect at Coledale,if so you don't leave much.I had a young lady approach me who had lost her iPhone and keys whilst running to her child who had fallen over.She had found the keys but couldn't find the phone.I explained to her that her phone had probably been picked up by somebody because it wouldn't just sink into the sand.I searched for it for about 20 minutes just so she knew someone was doing something to help her.She was a bit distressed as the phone was only a couple of months old.Long story short the phone was found by some guy and he had gone to the Surf club and they directed him to us.Good result.

I had a bit of a swing on a Church Common here locally,found a few dollars in spendies a 1955 halfpenny,a nice Lions club badge and a Yass Soldiers Club members badge.Member 1789.The badges were found within a foot of each other.A badge spill I guess.
1556974206_image.jpg

1556974322_image.jpg

1556974421_image.jpg

silver said:
Nice little hunt Eldorado, badges are in good knick hey ! :cool:
Very good nick Silver,the Lions club one still has the clasp on the back in full working order.Its a long way from home too.

:Y:
They made the Northern Territory look way bigger by using the sun like that hey :p

I hit a couple of local parks in the last couple of days.Detected for about 3 hours per day.Got about $13,some silver in the form of a 1952 Rams Head shilling and a silver locket.Found a nice 1943 Roo penny in great condition and a belt buckle with a floral design which I think could be gold gilted.
Day 1
1558359582_image.jpg

1558359618_image.jpg

1558359699_image.jpg

1558359765_image.jpg

Day 2
1558359851_image.jpg

1558359899_image.jpg

1558359944_image.jpg

Had a couple of spare hours this afternoon so I headed to a local sports ground which always comes good with the goldies.Found about $11.60 or so,2 foreign coins (US one cent and NZ $2) and a nice 1895 Brittania one penny to top off the day.The one penny is my first pre 1900 One Penny.Pretty happy with that.
1562658191_1c23efaf-25a2-4ff3-8110-72673611245f.jpg

1562658233_565cd732-94ed-4ae7-bfee-8b3b3534c3f4.jpg

1562658306_b3ddb8b0-445a-46cc-a2ab-a6972053ae5c.jpg

Congrats on getting a penny from 2 centuries ago Eldorado.... a smile maker !
:power: :D :Y:

silver said:
Congrats on getting a penny from 2 centuries ago Eldorado.... a smile maker !
:power: :D :Y:
Cheers Silver.Definitely put a smile on my face.Got it right near the end of the hunt as well.Saved the day.

Went for a swing today,was great to get out again,it's been a few weeks between swings.Started off pretty slow with a 2 cent piece in the first half hour.Then got onto a few goldies for a total of $12.Saved the day with a nice sterling ring with a nice blue stone in it.The ring will need a bit of repair though.Anyone know what if would cost to get it back to wearable.
1567418350_image.jpg

1567418384_image.jpg

Eldorado said:
Went for a swing today,was great to get out again,it's been a few weeks between swings.Started off pretty slow with a 2 cent piece in the first half hour.Then got onto a few goldies for a total of $12.Saved the day with a nice sterling ring with a nice blue stone in it.The ring will need a bit of repair though.Anyone know what if would cost to get it back to wearable.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5682/1567418350_image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5682/1567418384_image.jpg

Have a go at it yourself by making a wooden tapered cone shaped thingy and gently work the ring back into round by using other bits of wood so as to not mar the ring.

Whisp said:
Eldorado said:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5682/1567418350_image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/5682/1567418384_image.jpg

Have a go at it yourself by making a wooden tapered cone shaped thingy and gently work the ring back into round by using other bits of wood so as to not mar the ring.
Wouldn't you need to heat it up first.

Well.... it probly wasn't hot at all when it got bent up in the first place :D
Probly like how you leave a saw out in the sun to heat up before you reset the angle of the saw teeth(that way the teeth don't break off).... try doing it inside on a cold saw and you'll lose teeth (or weaken them) most likely.
So try it if you will.... once it's hot from the sun for an hour or so.... nothing to lose hey (as it's already bent) :p

Eldorado said:
Whisp said:
Eldorado said:

Wouldn't you need to heat it up first.

If you needed to heat it you could use one of the small butane micro torches, the ones with a very fine flame and wrap the area around the stone in wet rags and heat just the area you want the heat to go to, just enough to anneal it.

Today's swing was a spot very close to home that a local guy I was talking to on Monday recommended.The day started off pretty well with the bracelet with black stones (surface find and unfortunately not silver :mad: ) and then a 1953 roo half penny amongst the trash at the base of a big tree in the first 10 minutes.The .925 silver chain which is broken with charm (charm not silver :mad: ) was the next decent find after digging a lot of canslaw,which was ringing up in the early 40's.When heading back to the car to head home I got the 1951 roo penny.I was thinking I might be able to rejoin the necklace with one or two links of the bracelet as a couple of them are broken as well.And maybe some earrings out of 2 more links.
Surface find.
1573729436_image.jpg

.925 silver chain
1573729519_image.jpg

Latest posts