Still new and gonna ask dumb questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been scouring you tube to try and get some idea on how to identify areas to fossick in. So someone says go try around "x". But what do I actually look for around there? I mean are there certain features or do you just pick a spot and start digging?

Gold for instance you look in crevices and internal creek bends.

Hi crazyk,

I'd start by researching what areas near you have had gold historically: gold rushes, mines, etc...

I'm actually a keen motorbike rider and have been looking for mine shafts etc in wombat...only problem is I don't like riding alone. I found one shaft with contact details so am planning on calling them for a sticky nose and that's what got me into all this.

Our family friends have a property in ballan which has lots of white quartz so I need to find out what is likely to accompany that.

There has been gold found around Ballan, back in the 1850's Tea Tree creek and Gordons creek were worked for gold check out the history of Ballan. I believe that gold was found in one on the creeks beside the Western Freeway.
Mt Doran and Bacchus Marsh also had small shows of gold.

Are you guys in Victoria? You might have the collection of old geological reports, reports to the minister for mines, geological survey records, etc... online like we do in Tasmania. It's a good place to do some reading.

Yes, I'm in Vic. I will have to google that to see what we can dig up ... haha no pun intended!!!

What gemstones would one typically find where white quartz is found?

If I find a nice chunk of white quartz buried or a little reef should I be looking for certain signs to indicate other gemstones may be around!

Ps I know gold is around quartz

Gemstones that aren't quartz based aren't usually directly associated with quartz - you may find Quartz crystals, Citrine, Amethyst, Tourmaline and Smoky Quartz though. The other gemstones such as Corundum types (Sapphie Ruby Emerald etc) and Zircons are dragged from the earth's crust to the surface through various volcanic activity.

Head into the creeks you are interested in and dig a crevice out, pan it off slowly and carefully then if you don't immediately see gold and gems in the pan check the cons out using a loupe - a loupe will show gold and gemstones in a pan easily.

Thanks for that Ben.

I found this in my cupboard.....what is it? Would it be worth any value other that a great showpiece?
1389992582_image.jpg

Latest posts