Treasure in my trash bucket, need help ID'ing metal / markings :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I made a pretty exciting discovery in my trash bucket. A discarded (junk) ring I found quite a while ago, turned out to be decent find after all.

The outer bands / rim? are marked 375 (9ct gold), but the middle band is a silver/ish metal, I don't believe its silver (it could be though).

I can't make out what the metal is or what the marks on the middle band mean.

Any help would be appreciated.

1566905803_20190827_213128.jpg

1566905967_20190827_213902.jpg

1566905985_20190827_213805.jpg

Cheers,
Nugget

Not sure about the number 9/? Looks like it might have been stamped out. Or is that an 8?

HC could just be the designer's initials, or possibly the lady's initials who received it.

Possibly white gold? Not platinum - white gold - there is a difference. The scratches and dints tell me it's a fairly soft metal, so I wouldn't think platinum.
Don't think it's silver either, unless that number is 925, then it will be! But it doesn't look like a 2 to me. Hard to tell with the upside down photo.

A pretty little ring though. Do you know what the stones are?

Cheers,
Megsy

Thanks for the info Megsy.

I'm fairly confident it's a 9, and I think you're right about the rest being punched out. White gold sounds about right to me, but I guess without getting it checked out it's difficult to know for sure. As for the stones, I've got no idea.

It's definitely a cool find, and I'm glad I revisited my trash collection as I would never have picked up on it being a keeper, I may have even thrown it out otherwise.

Nice find Nugget, pity the numerals after the 9 are missing, look like they were punched/drilled out by me too. Platinum usually is marked as "950" though I think. Possibly even a platinum plating on the 375 gold or white gold as Megsy suggested.

The stones are likely rubies or manufactured rubies, either way a UV light (if you have one) will probably make them flouresce a nice hot pink colour..

Anyway glad you checked your junk before tossing it, would have been a shame to throw that beauty away.

Great find nugget, a very welcome surprise indeed.
Please let us know if you find out what it is.
And its great to see you contributing still.
Cheers Steve